Owen
did surprisingly well. It was very refreshing actually. After supper
he had quite a bit of pain and so commenced a screaming fit, but other
than that he was a champ.
One funny thing.... When
people ask "How are you doing, Owen?" Owen always answers, "Not good.
I'm sick." oh, so pitifully. I is kind of funny. Mostly because
people expect to hear or think they hear him say "good" and it throws
them for a loop when he is so pitiful about it. At least he's honest.
_____
Owen had a bad night last night.
For
the last three nights he's woken up at 11:45 almost on the nose, then
again around 3:30, 4:30 and 5:15. It is getting pretty annoying. and I
feel terrible for him.
He's waking up in
pain from a bladder spasm. yelling and crying. rolling around.
There's nothing I can really do for him. It sucks.
I
don't think I mentioned here that I initially did not even give him the
Detrol when we came home... just used the vallium. It seemed to work
just fine. And I was grateful to know all the behavior was ALL Owen and
not a medication.
After the vallium ran out
he seemed to only have 3 or 4 spasms during the day and few at night.
They didn't seem to bother him too much, so we decided to hold off on
the Detrol and try and get his attitude and behavior to improve first.
That
only worked for a few days. By Thursday of last week we were giving
him the Detrol. The bladder spasms had gotten progressively worse and
more frequent. I'm glad he's on it, but I'm not sure it's doing much
good. Not sure what to do about that.
____
I said to Eric before going to bed, "What are the chances he wakes up at 11:45 again?"
Sure enough.
As
soon as you quiet him down and get back in bed he's screaming again
because it hurts. Maybe he'd playing us, but I don't think he is.
We usually end up moving him to the couch just so he doesn't disturb the other boys.
Then around the 3rd time we're up, we just put him in our bed. I feel like I have a newborn. It is exhausting.
_____
But last night he was hot. Running a fever. Just could not sleep. I took his temperature around 2am. 102.5 (under the arm) which means it is more like 103.5.
I gave him tylenol and hoped that would break the fever. Honestly too tired to even call the Resident on call.
By 6:00 it was down to 101.
Gave him some more. (by 10:00 it was 99.)
_____
This is where I get mad.
8:00am
I page Kaeffer (cuz he's always telling me I should for "any" reason).
He's in the OR and an OR assistant calls me back and relays the
messages back and forth.
He said he should be on an antibiotic for 6 months post op. Um what?! first I've heard this!
The
Keflex antibiotic they discharged us with was for 2 weeks and ran out
Friday.... the SAME DAY we were at his post op appointment. (Hmm...
maybe someone should have prescribed something.)
I question this. and she tells me Kaeffer says to take him to our pediatrician if he's not feeling well.
um, no.
Totally
confused, not wanting to distract Kaeffer from surgery and getting no
where with this OR girl, I decided to call the Uro nurse after the
office opens.
Not that I don't have any
confidence in our pediatrician or anything, but what am I going to
accomplish by taking Owen in? He's gonna want to defer to the
specialist on this one... everything is so multi-faceted right now. Not
exactly easy to sort out.
Since his fever was down I was okay with waiting a while.
Talking
with the nurse I realized they all thought he was previously on a
prophylactic antibiotic (one you take every day as a preventative long
term treatment).
Owen has not been on a
prphylactic since he was 3 when his bladder reflux subsided. would
have been nice for somebody to look at the med list on his chart and
realize that at some point!
How was I supposed to know he needed one? grrr.
_____
Where we stand now...
basically
we are suspecting a UTI because he's been without antibiotic for 5 days
and has foreign bodies in his bladder!!!! (which makes me so mad,
because clearly I would have gladly given him one had I known he needed
it!)
Since his urine is not foul smelling at this
point and all the tubes are flushing fine, we are comfortable with
seeing if the antibiotic takes care of it.
He's
laying low today. Didn't do the bowel program or even get dressed. He
has not been hungry all day and very tired. very sweaty. Said his head
hurt. (which of course starts the SMP* drum beat in the back of my
mind. oh why can't anything be simple!)
*Shunt Malfunction Paranoia
I am guessing I'll end up at the pediatrician tomorrow to get a urine culture just in case.
We're new to this whole UTI thing. never ever had one. pretty unbelievable really for being cathed his whole life.
____
Well, that's what's new at our house!
Been
appreciating the meals our friends are providing more than words can
express. such a blessing after a long sleepless night like last night.
____
shall end with a thankful list.
thankful for:
time with my family.
school.
learning about India.
yummy food.
cuddles with Evie.
Evie's fountain-top hair.
Kate's crazy loose front tooth.
Zane's funny sayings.
Liam's teachable spirit.
The sound of Eric mowing the lawn.
A finished fence!
reading books with my kids.
peaceful sleep for Owen today.
friends.
patience.
cool weather.
dishwasher.
folded towels.
By Amy Wheeler — Aug 14, 2012 7:37pm
ReplyDeleteWow. Thank you for the updates so we know how to pray even more. Also, I appreciate the Thankful List at the end of your post. What a great reminder!
By Bambi Muylle — Aug 14, 2012 8:04pm
ReplyDeleteSending up extra prayers that the fever goes away and you can all get some rest!
Bambi
By Kim Plattner — Aug 14, 2012 10:16pm
ReplyDeletePraying that God gives you all needed rest tonight and that His grace overflows from your life in patience toward Owen and the rest of your family. Don't like what lack of sleep + stress does to me. : } May God give you discernment and strength for every trying situation you face...especially in the middle of the night!!
By Marne Dekkers — Aug 15, 2012 5:29am
ReplyDeleteHoping that the antibiotics take care of things. Not sure if you have heard this or not, but UTI symptoms can sometimes present like a shunt malfunction. Carter has had several UTI's over the years where I could swear he is having shunt issues but if we do a culture, it turns out positive. Put him on some antibiotics and he's like a brand new kid in a day or two. Praying SLEEP for you too! Nothing worse than trying to function on no sleep.