Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

on the mend

UTI?  

started the day going to the pediatrician.  They are running cultures but are pretty sure it's a UTI. 

We are sticking with the Septra (antibiotic) the Uro office called in for us yesterday.  And I irrigated his bladder with the gentimiacin we used to use to pre-empt UTIs.  Not sure if it did much good because his bladder is draining constantly, but it didn't hurt either.

This morning I tried to pull from his bladder before I irrigated.  I pulled 150cc.  That is a lot!  It's supposed to be empty.  It was dark too.

That's when I decided to go in.

Not sure why the SP was not draining.  Changed the bag out.  That seemed to help.  I think the bag's one-way valve gets clogged up with mucus or something.  Changed it once a week ago too.  Now this is our last bag.  It better last!

Today Owen is feeling much better.  Still a low grade (99°) fever, but his appetite was back and he wanted to play computer a bit after lunch.

Not sure how he is feeling better so fast, I did increase irrigations yesterday to 5 times a day and he had several doses of antibiotic.  I don't understand it, but I'll take it!!!!

____

Zoo

Late this afternoon I decided to take the kids to the zoo.  Eric was working from home so I planned to leave Owen.  At the last minute Owen insisted he wanted to come too.

Figuring this was a decision I would live to regret, I took him along.  Boy was I wrong.  He did great!  

We've been trying to encourage him to resume some activities all along, but I guess it is finally his attitude that is changing and he feels up for trying things!  It's great to see.

He rode in the stroller the whole time, but did get out a couple of times, holding my hand.  The other kids are so patient with him.  I am one blessed mama.

______

Bath

Eric took the crew to church tonight and I gave Owen a "bath".  Cleaned all around his incisions, then washed his legs and hair in the sink.  Sponge-bathed the rest.  He was getting gross.  (it's been 3 1/2 weeks!)

Took photos of his stomas.  I'll try to post them but sometimes Caringbridge is stupid and doesn't let me for some reason.

I am working on thank you notes tonight after updating you.  So much to be thankful for!

_______

Spasms

Speaking of things to be thankful for.... I think the Detrol is finally working!  Or maybe the UTI was exacerbating the spasms.  I don't know.  All I know is he slept ALL NIGHT LAST NIGHT!  and has had only a few mild ones today!!!

All night!  yeah, I could hardly believe it when I looked at the clock and it said 6:30!!!!

Then again, maybe it was your prayers! 

______

Thank you for loving our boy!!

2 comments:

  1. By Carrie Holt — Aug 18, 2012 8:37am
    Hi Jen,
    Sorry I haven't posted a comment in awhile - we've been on vacation (camping...yup - camping with Toby - I'll tell you about that later). So glad to hear that Owen is on the mend, and that maybe the UTI was increasing the spasms, I have heard that they can be very painful.
    Sorry about the mix-up with the medication - that's so frustrating (I was grrrrring right along with you.)Great to read the updates!Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. By Carmel Krynock — Aug 19, 2012 7:08am
    Praying for you all! So thankful that the kids are patient with Owen. Your thankful list the other day was sweet. I know it's hard sometimes to keep your chin up though, especially when you aren't getting sleep. Praying for that. Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!