Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

3 week post op appointment

Let's just say I was supposed to leave the house at 7:30 and woke up at 7:36.  yeah.  alarm did not go off and for once everybody was letting mommy sleep!  what!

managed to get out the door by 8:00.  Arrived only 10 minutes late.... only to sit in the waiting room for an hour and 45 minutes because the doctor had an emergency surgery.  nice.

I wrote down my list of questions so I would not forget anything.

Dr. Kaeffer snipped the sutures for the ureter stents and tried to pull them out.  I guess the internal sutures are not dissolved yet.  They wouldn't come out all the way. He snipped them shorter and said they'd fall out on their own.   Owen's Urethral stent fell out Thursday night!  

So we are officially down to 5 tubes.  The two stents have not been draining for a week or so and should fall out soon—bringing us down to 3.

____

last night we had a date night with some friends and our friends the Browns watched the kids.  She texted me a couple of times that Owen was having some pain (which I presumed to be spasms and partially him just being dramatic).  

Long story short, we ended up coming home early because Owen threw up several times and was in pain every 2 minutes for over half an hour.

First thing I did was check his leg bag. It had barely anything in it.  Probably was clogged with mucus and his bladder was painfully full.

[The piece of intestine that they used to augment his bladder (make it bigger) secretes mucus since that's what intestines do.  Bladders do not like mucus.  We are irrigating his bladder 3 times a day right now to flush the mucus out.  It can cause problems including bladder stones if left in there.  We will / he will have to irrigate his bladder every day for the rest of his life.  But it really isn't that bad!]

We got the clogged SP tube taken care of.  He felt instantly better and fell asleep.

In the end, I think his SP drain was clogged with mucus again.  His bladder was full and spasming. The binder-like belt I have him wearing to hold his catheters in place was probably not leaving enough room for all the pizza he ate.  So he threw up.

I felt so bad.  Felt terrible for Owen.  and felt so bad that Theresa had to deal with it all.

Thankful for the time out.  It was much needed.

Can't wait to get these tubes out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!