A friend
brings over dinner for our family and hands Owen a gift... and Owen
says he wants her to leave and her food is yucky. Yeah. What do you
say after that?
Thankfully my friend was
gracious. But it is so so embarrassing. Why is my sweet Owen acting
like this? He is just so so grumpy these days. Contrary about
everything. Uber irritable. (and this is with NO mood-altering
medicine. Thankful to know with certainty this is ALL Owen.)
It
was the same story at the hospital. We had many visitors that drove 2
hours to see us only to be greeted with a sour look and angry words from
Owen initially.
First of all, believe you
me... he did not get away with this behavior! It is completely
unacceptable... I don't care how sick you feel or what you've been
through. Being rude and naughty like that is not okay.
Just
so you know, he did apologize today and thanked her for coming and for
the gift and the food, politely. But still!!!! GRERRRR.
_____
We've talked about it a lot with him. We've tried every method up our parenting sleeves so to speak. This kid is stubborn.
Today I was talking with all the kids about how we can't control our circumstances, we can only control how we respond to them.
Kate
said she felt badly for Owen (who was mid-whining/crying fit) because
of his spina "bithita". I told her there was no need to feel sorry for
him. He was feeling just fine. It was he who was choosing to make
himself miserable.
It was then that I realized I can't control how Owen reacts to all this any more than he can wish the tubes away.
Why can't my kid be his normal joy-filled self? Why is he being so
whiny and mean? What would possess him to speak to someone the way he
spoke to my friend today?!!! This is not, nor ever has been, acceptable
behavior in our family!?
Thought about it a
lot today... I think he honestly doesn't like the attention he's getting
for all of this, and he doesn't know how to handle it. This is not an
excuse by any means, but made me realize I have some teaching to do in
the coming days and have probably fallen short by not addressing it
sooner. (honestly never crossed my mind he would respond this way.)
The
key is to not take it personally I suppose. It is hard not to tie your
child's behavior to your ability as a parent. It's not my goal to have
perfect kids. It's my goal to point their hearts to Christ. and my
privilege to watch them grow and love them along the way.
Someone once told me, "Never say: 'MY kid will NEVER
do that!!' because that's probably exactly what they'll do at some
point." So true! You can't control your child's every action. We're
all sinners.
Desperately in need of GRACE!!!
Lord, give me grace to deal with this child!
_____
Honestly, physically his recovery is going very well in my opinion. Still weak, but pain is minimal for the most part.
It's his attitude that is the most difficult to deal with.
I can gratefully report that God has been supplying patience in abundance around here!!! Even for the other kids—I can't believe how patient they are with Owen! Seriously.
For
me it's almost like the more whiny he gets the more patience I have,
the more resolve I feel to stay calm and the more measured I am able to
talk with him. Eric too. Truly amazing!
(If
you've been around Owen when he's like this the last few weeks you know
how truly amazing it is that we have not pulled all our hair out.) God
is good.
___
Story
Oh, today he was so mad at me... I wasn't letting any of his antics phase me.... It is so hard. Tough love is really tough.
Nonetheless,
here's an example of how I just did not let the kid get a rise out of
me. Water off a ducks back was my moto today. By the end of the day he
realized it just wasn't worth the energy—throwing a fit was not getting
him what he wanted.
Me, as casually as I can: "Owen it's time for lunch. Come to the table and I'll help you in your chair."
Owen, majorly over dramatic and whiny: "I CAN'T make it! I CAN'T walk. You HAVE to help me!" [over and over like a broken record]
Me, trying to be positive: "Oh, yes you can. I know you can."
[he
very well can, I've seen him crawl, walk with his walker and slide down
the stairs. The kid can get where he wants to go if he wants to.]
Owen: "I CAN'T!"
[I'm setting the cups on the table, the other kids are coming]
Me matter of factly: "Well,
lunch is ready now. You need to come to the table. I'm not going to
help you. If you don't want to have lunch that's fine by me I guess.
You can sit there and cry all day if you want to. Doesn't bother me a
bit, but I bet you'll be very hungry."
This draws on and on and on. Pretty much just repeat the above times 7 as we eat lunch. Yeah. Pleasant! Then...
Owen: "I neeeed HELP! I CAN'T cross the floor!"
Me, as plainly as I can muster:
"Owen I know you can. And just so you know, when lunch is over I'll
be picking up your lunch and you won't be able to eat it, so you better
hurry."
Owen scurries over lickity-split. Little buggar.
_____
I
realized yesterday I can't MAKE him change his attitude. I can require
him to obey, but it has to be his choice to change his attitude.
It's
coming... slowly. By the end of the day he was asking politely for his
water bottle or to color at the table. Saying please and thank you.
He's getting there. I could see him consciously making the good choice.
Not giving up on him. We'll make it through this yet!
Praying hourly God will change his heart.
Thankful each minute that God has changed mine!
_____
Not
to get too spiritual on you, but this difficult time handling Owen's
emotions and behavior has made me think a lot about how patient God is
with me.
I am so slow to learn. I can be so impatient. So whiny. So demanding. Selfish.
Yet He does not give me what I deserve.
What grace! What mercy!
As
much as I want Owen to make good choices tomorrow, I know I need to
make them too. So thankful for your prayers in this area. patience.
consistency. freedom from guilt (oh, the mommy guilt!)
___
Read this today: "But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness." Psalm 86:15
Great verse (there are many similar throughout the Bible) but actually all of chapter 86 is awesome. worth looking up.
seriously.
By Kim Plattner — Aug 7, 2012 12:53am
ReplyDeleteI'm chuckling, Jen. : ) Didn't think anything of it. But I know it's really tough for you being in the middle of it. You have lots of great insight and wisdom, so keep reminding yourself of the truth. Praise God for the grace He's giving you!! That's only supernatural!!
I LOVE Psalm 86, too! Have it posted in my bathroom. : )
I pray that God will give you MUCH grace and patience tomorrow and the next day and the next day...one day (maybe just one minute) at a time.
Much love to your family.
By Kelly Amstutz — Aug 7, 2012 7:49am
ReplyDeleteJen~
Love getting the updates.
Love supporting all of you in prayer.
Love. That says it all, doesn't it?
Love,
Kelly
By Cheryl fABIAN — Aug 7, 2012 3:27pm
ReplyDeleteDear Jen,
May I just say that you are a wonderful Mom! Praise God, You having to deal with all that you deal with still see the most important thing! Owen's heart and doing the tough thing. To teach him to be thankful and responsible even though he is going through sooooo much!
You are a great example to Mom's everywhere!
Take heart he's just a child. I love his honesty! and yours. Thank you for sharing your heart.
Believing God
Cheryl Fabian
(Toby's Grandma)
By Carmel Krynock — Aug 7, 2012 7:12pm
ReplyDeleteGlad that his recovery is going well. Glad that God has given you and Eric a great amount of grace and patience during all of this.