Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Riley called

Here's the plan:
Owen's surgery is first up at 9:00.

We have to be at Main Day Surgery at 7:30.  Not too bad. Probably leave at 5:00am.

My mom, Eric's parents and our Pastor will be there with Eric and I tomorrow as we wait.  We'll take Evie as well.   My sister will be here with the other 3 kids.

Owen's surgery should last 6 hours.  I think (I'll know more tomorrow) that he'll come out on a ventilator and remain on that for 24 hours in the PICU.  

I am taking my computer so it should be easier to send out updates since I won't have to trek to wait to use the public ones.

___

I had a good conversation with Owen yesterday about what's going to happen.  He sat on my lap facing me and I asked him questions.
We had gone over it in detail Saturday.  He was able to answer all my questions, except "why he needed an operation".  But he's not so good at answering why questions in general.  :)

I do think he understands what's going to happen.  So that was comforting to me as his mom.

He was very calm.  Gave me a good cuddle when we were done talking about it.  My favorite:  "Who will be with you all the time and always?"  "JESUS AND GOD!"  Says with a big smile.   "And YOU, Mommy!"

I tell Owen he is the bravest boy I know.

____

Liam and Kate have been busy making Owen cards since Saturday when we told them.  So sweet.  I'll have to post a picture later.

_____

I've been packing and doing laundry all morning.
Making lists and typing up instructions for my sister.
Getting the oil changed this afternoon.
I think I'll let Owen go to school today.  Although he has complained of headaches all morning.  We'll see how he is at 11:00.

____

Thank you for your continued prayers.
A few specifics:

- safety as we travel down early tomorrow.
- for protection from fear for Owen (and maybe mommy & daddy too.)
- that God's peace will be abundant.
- for Dr. Boaz., the anesthesiologist and other personnel involved in this long surgery.
- for Liam and Kate and Zane that they will adjust well to this topsy turvy week.
- that Zane will get over this cold.  (I'm hoping it doesn't turn into an ear infection.  He was rubbing his ear today.  hmmm. Seems my kids always get sick when I'm at the hospital.)
-  lastly and most importantly, that God's name be glorified among those who hear Owen's story.  That we will also be a shining light of hope to the doctors and nurses and others we will be in contact with over the next week.

11 comments:

  1. By jaimie schrader — Mar 22, 2011 9:28am
    Jen and Eric, you are such GOOD parents to each of your kids. Wow! Will be thinking and praying for all of you in the days and weeks to come. Much love!

    Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By Joni Lehman — Mar 22, 2011 10:38am
    Your family is in our prayers. We are forwarding your info to our Sunday School Class @ 1st Missionary, Berne.
    Praying for peace beyond all understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Stacia Birdsall — Mar 22, 2011 10:43am
    Sending love and prayers from NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By Kathy Luersman — Mar 22, 2011 11:55am
    Jen, you are the strongest person I know and an incredible role model for the SB community. My prayers are with you, Owen, and the rest of your family. Between the Good Lord and modern medicine, Owen is in good hands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By Jeannie Jones — Mar 22, 2011 11:55am
    Jen,
    Sending good thoughts, hugs and prayers your way. If there is anyone who will be able to handle this with grace, it's you. You are one of the strongest women I know. :) I look forward to the POSTIVE updates that will follow in the next few days. Please give Owen a hug from Kenzi.

    Peace be with ALL of the Potter family . . .
    (((hugs)))
    Brandi :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. By Marne Dekkers — Mar 22, 2011 12:18pm
    You and your family have been on my mind and in my heart continually. I appreciate all your entries and respect you so much. Know that prayers are being offered up for all of you that the Lord will provide for each of you as needed. You are such a strong family and you know where your hope lies. Praying that God guides the hands of the surgeons and medical staff and that you will each be given the strength to get through the surgery and the coming days of recovery. You are not alone. We are holding you up in prayer. And He is walking this road beside you and will carry you when needed.

    hugs to you, friend
    Marne :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. By Carrie Holt — Mar 22, 2011 1:20pm
    Jen,
    I was just sharing today about Owen's surgery with our nurse, and got choked up putting myself in your shoes, please know that I am praying. If you don't mind, I'm going to send a link out to Owen's site on FB and ask my friends to pray (I know we share lots).
    Love ya,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. By Cheryl fABIAN — Mar 22, 2011 4:29pm
    Hi Jen,

    I am praying and will continue! Thank you so much for sharing about your life with this wonderful boy!
    It is so near and dear to my heart because of our Toby.

    God Bless You!
    Cheryl Fabian

    ReplyDelete
  9. By Verona Winkler — Mar 22, 2011 7:35pm
    May God bless you all tonight, tomorrow, and in the days to come. We are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. By Tracy Jensen — Mar 22, 2011 8:59pm
    Dear Potter family,

    May God bless you all during this challenge, may you come out of the refiners fire purer and stronger, and may sweet Owen come out of this surgery feeling finally better....may you have peace, may you know of the love so many people have for your family, and may the surgeons hands be gently guided....

    Six hours seems like an eternity.....I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

    Hugs,

    wish we could be there with you.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. By Melissa Swenson — Mar 22, 2011 9:37pm
    I'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow and saying a prayer for all of you. I know everything will turn out wonderfully, it sounds like he is in good hands :) Please, let me know if you need anything, I maybe a couple hundred miles away, but know that I'm there for any support you may need.

    Missy Swenson

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!