Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Quick and Random

• Gloria called today and urodynamics is scheduled for 8:00 am  and renal ultrasound at 7:45 on Tuesday.  That will be an early early morning and a very very long day.  Myelo clinic is in the afternoon.

I am curious if the bladder will show us anything definitive.  Sounds like it's not a deal maker or breaker for Boaz.  Maybe this mama just wants a little reassurance we're making the right call.

• I plan on calling around AGAIN to find the right PT situation for Owen.  I'd like to have some private PT in place before surgery if possible so they know him and see him BEFORE so we can make good progress AFTER with their extra help.  Really wishing I had not procrastinated on this so long. ah well.

• Owen's school speech therapist called and wants to switch him to an Articulation Group instead of the Language Group he's been in.  I'm excited about this.

We also talked about having a re-eval for speech placement next year.  She thinks this would be a good idea, and may be able to do some of it before our case conference meeting in 2 weeks. yay.

• I registered Owen for preschool yesterday.  His education team agrees the best place for him will be at the community preschool Kate has been attending.  Full-time with typical peers doing typical things in a typical school like a typical kid.  So next year they'll send him there 4 days a week in the afternoons.  We'll deal with the stairs!  The program will be great for him.  AND... AND the staff at the preschool is willing to learn how to cath!!!  HUGE BLESSING!  I am so thankful they were so open to this!   Not the case everywhere.   I'll bring him to the Elementary in the morning 1 or 2 days a week for his therapies.  Super excited about this arrangement.

•  Started videoing him walking today for future reference.  Also made him walk up and down the stairs today holding my hand—with much protest.  Testing him a little to see where he's at.  Noticed his feet are turning under quite a bit and turning in as well.

• Seems his appetite is returning.

• He was so sweet with Evie this afternoon.  Giving her kisses.

• Said to me on the way home from speech therapy tonight:  "Where are we going? Are we going to our home to be wiff my bruvers and sisthers and my dad?"   So sweet.

7 comments:

  1. By Jennifer Edwards — Mar 1, 2011 9:51pm
    Wow, lots of news. Praying for you, praying for Owen. I know that God will give you the strength and grace to get through the whole thing. Look how God has given you amazing grace this far and even used your story to speak to many. To God be the glory!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By Tracy Jensen — Mar 2, 2011 1:50am
    Just wanted to say....you're amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Jennifer Edwards — Mar 2, 2011 2:09am
    Yeah for integration into mainstream schools! (What we're working on here!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. By Kathy Luersman — Mar 2, 2011 7:00am
    Gotta love the sibling love! Somehow, with faith in our Lord and love in our house, we'll make it through the rest. Sending our love and prayers -

    ReplyDelete
  5. By Marne Dekkers — Mar 2, 2011 1:06pm
    Just catching up on your last few entries... detethering and decompression... oh wow. That's a lot to process and think about. Know that you are being prayed for as you make your way down this road. I'm praying peace for your heart as you determine what's best. You do a wonderful job of advocating for him and I know God will guide you to the right answers this time too. Thankful for the new speech program and for decisions made on a preschool who will work with you - wonderful!! Will be waiting to hear more updates after the urodynamic testings. Hugs to you!

    Marne

    P.S. Love the new pics - his eyes look great! Sounds like he loves his brothers & sisters - what a sweetie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. By Kim Wilhelm — Mar 2, 2011 7:45pm
    Oh Jen...I don't know what to say. Detethering and decompression...so not fair. I am so scared for this day to come for us. We will do anything to help if needed...well...except for the nursing evie thing...:) We are thinking of you and praying for all of you. Sorry this reply is late coming....:(
    Can't wait to see you next week. :)
    You and your family are so amazing....I am sure that this part of Owens path will be filled with love support and help from everyone around you!
    Oh....and you totally cracked me up with checking out the new Rileys won't! I love it!
    Many hugs...
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. By jaimie schrader — Mar 4, 2011 9:38am
    What a sweet boy you have! And such a great family in which to raise him. That sounds great about the preschool arrangement! I'm excited to see how it all goes. Much love to you guys, Jen!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!