Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Update

I uploaded a few pictures from Tuesday.

Owen has been doing okay.

His eyes already look straighter. The doctor said it could take a couple of weeks for them to really settle and even a few months to really heal.  But I think they look great already.  Very very blood-shot though.  And a bit puffy because he rubbed them Wednesday.

I'll post some before and after shots once the bloodiness clears up.

He went to church Wednesday night and was back to school on Thursday.  Did just fine.

But the last two days he has been saying his head hurts.  And I believe it... he has been soooooo cranky and naughty.  Screams for no reason. is hitting things.  throwing things.  very grouchy.  Although he's not allowed to get away with this kind of behavior, it is clear to see that he does not feel well.  This is not normal Owen.  Super hard to know how to discipline in these kinds of situations.

He seems to be able to suck it up and be Mr. Sunshine at school, which I'm thankful for, but then he acts like I described above.  I am so ready for him to feel better.

I wonder if the higher setting Boaz reset his shunt too is too tight.  I don't know.  I just know he doesn't feel good.  And I hate it. I'll probably call today and leave a message for Boaz.  another 2 weeks until we go back.

One step at a time.  I've been asked a few times this week if/when he'll have the detethering sugery.  And the answer is I don't know.  He may not need it.  They may revise the shunt first.  That is always the first line of defense.

Timing is key for detethering.  You don't want to do it unless you really need to because the detethering surgery itself causes more scar tissue. Scar tissue is the reason you're detethering in the first place.

We may have to have some additional testing to see if there are other things being affected like his bladder.    Basically I don't know.  And I'm okay with that.  At least we have a path to go down now.  I just hope it isn't drawn out too long.  I'm ready to have my happy Owen back.

____

Today is Liam's birthday.  He turns 7.  Seems hard to believe.  He's such a great kid and a great big brother. He was not quite 3 when Owen was born. 

I was also thinking today that Evie will be 3 months old tomorrow.  Owen had 4 surgeries by the time he was 3 months old.

We have 5 beautiful children even though I only talk about Owen on this site.  Owen and all his "stuff" has only made me appreciate my time with him more and see and enjoy each day with my other kids in a new light.  We are truly blessed.

 ____

One thing I didn't mention in my last update was that we got to go in the NEW part of the hospital they've been building, the Simon Family Tower.  It is so huge, just dwarfs the rest of the hospital.  The MRI was over there.

As we rushed over there from Dr. Boaz's office I said to Mindy, "Is it weird that instead of being nervous about the MRI I am totally excited that we get to see the new building?!"  "Yeah, kind of.  But that is something YOU WOULD get excited about."    

Well, it's going to be a place we spend a lot of time at in coming years and I know it's going to have some very nice features that we will really enjoy and benefit from!    Silly I guess, but it was cool.  We took a picture to document the occasion. Ha!

_____

In other news I think we are making progress on plans for preschool for next year.  I had several meetings this week with the schools and things are going better than I could have hoped for.  I'll give more details once things are finalized, but let's just say lots of incredible answers to prayer!  For as complicated and dismal as it seemed when I started the process, things are definitely looking up.
_____

specific prayer requests: 
• for Owen to feel better - headaches
• self-control for Owen even when he doesn't feel good
• patience and wisdom for Eric and I as we deal with him

thanks as always! 

6 comments:

  1. By Donna Propp — Feb 18, 2011 12:03pm
    Happy birthday to my birthday buddy, Liam!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. By Carrie Holt — Feb 18, 2011 2:02pm
    Jen,
    Thank you for the update; I had been wondering. I will definitely be praying for Owen's headaches...such a bummer. You know its' funny that you mention the new hospital; ours is opening a whole new HUGE building in 2012, and today we had a med student at our house to see a "critical case at home",and she was talking about where she had put in for her residency - Riley was one of them. We were talking about how there seems to be a HUGE expansion with Children's hospitals as of late (I guess Pitt, Vanderbuilt and Northwestern are all expanding too!). Anyway, I am excited about our new hospital too - it's supposed to be awesome - we might as well be, we spend a lot of time there (all of us!)
    Happy 7th Birthday to Liam!
    Have a wonderful weekend - praying Owen feels better.
    Carrie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Julie Adams — Feb 18, 2011 4:39pm
    Sorry to hear Owen isn't feeling well. We will pray that the doctors find clarity and that you and Eric find patience and resolve. Noah also keeps it together at school but boy can I tell he is tired when I pick him up after school. Although he also is often treated like he can do anything he wants (by other adults and kids) which helps foster his feelings of entitlement so it's something we are constantly battling. Prayers for your 4 year old and ours too!
    -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. By Marne Dekkers — Feb 18, 2011 4:39pm
    Glad to hear about his eyes and the quick results you are seeing. We have a consult next week for Carter - same kind of eye issues with one drifting slightly. Will be praying for his headaches too... poor buddy. Its hard to see them not feeling well and then trying to figure out how/if/when to discipline on top of it can't be easy. Thinking of you guys.

    Great looking hospital by the way - looks awesome! And as much time as you know you'll be spending there over the years, I'd be excited too! :-)

    Take care,
    Marne

    ReplyDelete
  5. By Tracy Jensen — Feb 19, 2011 1:12am
    Poor little guy.....praying for him and for you guys....it's so hard to play the wait and see game....hang in there Jen! You guys are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By Laura Glass — Feb 22, 2011 4:26pm
    Thinking of you and praying. Just wanted you to know that Todd and I love you all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!