Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

MOMS Study

Check out these recent evening news reports on the MOMS study. Which studied the affects of prenatal surgery for babies with spina bifida.  The outcomes have been amazing.

I am amazed in these reports that the media is referring to these unborn babies as "patients".  And I love that the message here is that these children with spina bifida are worth having... and not just that—helping, before they are born.

Giant steps forward in the treatment of Spina Bifida as well as a victory for the pre-born in my opinion.  Especially those with a poor prenatal diagnosis.

I also wanted to mention here that Owen was not eligible for the surgery for a couple of reasons.  We found out about his spina bifida in my 25th  week and the surgery must be done between 19 and 26 weeks.   Also, because of his cleft lip and palate he would not have been accepted anyway.  Too many other variables for the study. I am thankful that God took this decision out of our hands.

Interestingly, His Neuro surgeon (and me too) feel the clefts probably helped protect him from additional damage to his open spine.  Because of his clefts he could not swallow the amniotic fluid efficiently.  I had a TON of amniotic fluid.  I was huge.  But his extra cushioning may have actually helped him.  I suppose we will never know.

Anyway,

Check out these clips:

Brian Williams:
 http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/41499228#41499228

i really like this one.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/41497044#41497044

Diane Sawyer
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/surgery-womb-spina-bifida-prenatal-cure-experimental-birth-deffect-12879423

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!