Pages

Monday, October 8, 2007

Cathing


It's never dull at the Potter house. Last night Eric was cathing Owen. As soon as I heard, "Jen, you better come up here." I knew it was not good. There was a bit of blood in the catheter tip. So of course I immediately think of Brandon and pray it's not that. I tried to get it in and was afraid to push too hard. Called the Urology Resident on call. He said it wasn't necessarily a false passage, the urethra might just be roughed up a bit. He thought we should take him to the local ER if we couldn't get it in. But we decided Owen pees really well on his own and weren't too confident the ER docs would have more experience cathing an 8 month old than we had. I didn't really want somebody who's not used to Owen's tight sphincter to make things worse. So we decided to wait until morning and try again. And probably head down early for our opthomolgy appt. to see urology. Well, I couldn't get it in this morning either. So after finding a babysitter we are about to leave. 

I don't think this is really anything to worry about yet, so don't panic. Worst case scenario, we get the catheter contraption Brandon had for a week and things heal and we're fine. A pain, but not a crisis. And the most likely scenario is that everything is fine, and I'm just too chicken to push it in right. So I'd rather have the docs who know what they're doing give it a go and be at Riley if we need to do anything else.

Please pray for Owen that he can void well on his own and not at high pressures so he doesn't damage his kidneys. Also for peace of mind for me that my imagination doesn't run wild on the 2 hour drive down. Please pray that the doctors will be able to get him cathed.

Thank you,

jen

6 comments:

  1. Oct 8, 2007 7:40am

    Morning Sweet Little Owen praying for you with all my heart that this problem rights itself with no kidney damage. Please Lord give the Doctors the knowledge to help this precious little boy and give his family peace of mind. Holding you close to my heart Owen and always in my prayers. Hugs MJ/Angel_Wings
    Mary Tamulevich
    marijeighn@gmail.com
    Orando, FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oct 8, 2007 7:47am

    Oh no Jen! Im sure everything is fine! Let us know! Im thinking about you today! It sure is a scary experience! And if you have to have the foley cath, then you get a weeks vacation from cathing! ;)

    Call me if you need me! Have a safe trip!
    Kim Wilhelm
    Elkhart, IN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oct 8, 2007 8:22am

    I hope all is well! I will be thinking of you today.
    Joy S
    joybelle15@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oct 8, 2007 8:34am

    Dear Eric and Jen,

    I can't blame you for getting a bit uptight with these things. You don't want to hurt Owen and you don't want to over react. You two are good at that. I think I would go into a panice every 30 minutes!

    Be sure to know that Cathy and I are praying for you and Owen today.

    God bless, Max and Cathy
    Max Haines

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oct 8, 2007 8:47am

    Jen,

    I am praying here in Texas too.

    Many prayers,

    Tammy
    Tammy Scheer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oct 8, 2007 10:58am

    I am sending prayers and good thoughts your way....I hope that everything goes smoothly and he doesn't end up with an infection. Hugs,

    www.caringbridge.org/visit/kumakajensen
    Tracy Jensen
    Fountain Valley, CA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!