My main goal was to get a better grip on our new routine.
I didn't time it. probably a good thing... it would be depressing.
I had to connect the stents to the leg bags for Owen to sit on the potty so that they didn't drain urine all over creation.
Draining
the stents in to the double diaper was "kinda" working. But soaking
the diaper quickly. When I got him dressed I thought I'd try to keep the
leg bags on, since "technically" that is what they told me to use.
It became obvious I was going to have serious issues getting two 3ft tubes and 3 bags to hang on Owen's short little legs.
I decided to try the wheelchair. He was having so much trouble walking anyway, maybe this would give him some independence?
Got it all configured. this would work pretty well....
Except
he can't sit at a 90° angle very comfortably or for very long. and he
had a hard time getting it around on the carpet. 10 minutes later I
realized it was time for plan B.
I set Owen up
to play Legos at the coffee table and he played there patiently as I
tried 18 different ways to configure the bags on his little body. Enter
tears.
Executive decision by Mom: screw the leg bags, we are double diapering.
______
Owen
was content to play for awhile but soon I caught him trying to walk to
the couch... and he fell. OUCH! Yeah, we're gonna need some help
walking for a while, buddy.
Put calls in to
urology for our follow up appointment and to Turnstone to see if we can
get some temporary physical therapy in a few weeks. It just pains me to
see him so weak. This summer he has been the strongest he's been...
probably since he was 3. A few weeks ago I caught him WALKING up the
stairs on his own accord. That's a big deal.
____
Eric
came home from work at noon and worked from home so I could run some
errands. Owen wanted to lay on his bed and play legos and ipad.
there's no way Eric would be able to hear Owen if he needed something
from his upstairs office. So I hooked up my laptop in Owen's room and
started Skype. Yes. Yes I did. Eric could talk to Owen and Owen could
talk to Eric any time he needed. Worked like a charm. (I'll post a
photo when Caringbridge stops being stupid. grr.).
_____
in
the evening we had our friends Jack and Angie come over and sit with
Owen so we could go out for dinner. It was nice to have some alone
time. Then we came home and watched the olympics with them.
When
I put Owen to bed he wanted to walk down the stairs!!! I was shocked.
He was shaky. I held him up the whole time, but he did it.
Amongst
all the whiny "I can't do it's" Owen has these days, it was encouraging
to see a glimpse of that determination I know he has in there. He'll
make it. He'll get it back.
____
Owen is happily playing trains upstairs on a pillow now.
We
are going to Berne this afternoon to pick up the kids. We'll take Owen
to the parade. It will be really nice to be all together again.
Thank you for your prayers and all your encouragement.
____
Owen
has not seemed to have ANY (or very few) bladder spasms since we came
home. So we made another executive decision to not even start the
Detrol!!!!!! Sticking with the valium, but only had a 2 doses of that
yesterday. We'll back off that and see how it goes!
This makes us soooo happy!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete