Yes, I'm suffering from SMP. (Shunt Malfunction Paranoia).
And I'm mad about it.
I am also in serious denial.
But
after Owen vomited 3 times at Burger King, and I threw away my cell
phone on the vomit-filled tray and dove into the trash can to retrieve
it, (Oh, yes! That happened!) I decided I better talk to neuro surg.
And
since I'm too tired right now, I'm just going to paste the email I sent
to Gloria, our Neuro Surgery NP, a few minutes ago so you can see
what's going on in a nut shell...
_____
Hello, Amazing Shrinking Gloria! [she's lost a lot of weight recently and looks great. hence my new nickname for her.)
I hope you're well..
I have a question for you....
Owen got hit pretty hard directly on his shunt last Wednesday (3/21) at
preschool with a wooden block. Teacher said he cried a lot, then
calmed down. They called me and I wasn't worried. He's bumped it
before, no biggie.
He seemed fine for the next few days. Then starting Monday (3/26) he has had some symptoms that are worrying me:
• terrible headaches - says his head hurst first thing in the morning. Wants to lay down his head even when sitting at table.
• very sleepy - has slept the majority of the day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. and went to bed early each night (6:00-6:30)
• NO appetite - he
ate some lunch on Monday, no supper; 1/4 of a sandwich at lunch
Tuesday. Yes, that was the total for the day!; I got him to eat 5
chicken nuggets Wed!!!!! He has been drinking some Pediasure at each
meal. And he drinks water throughout the day from his water bottle.
• Vomiting - gagged Tuesday but stopped before it came up. But Wed around 5:30pm he randomly vomited 3 times.
He also had a strange thing this morning (Wed): he was resting on the couch, then all of a sudden started screaming and crying, holding his head. When I got to him he was sweating profusely. That is when he almost vomited but stopped himself. Then he rapidly fell asleep. Super weird, right?
He and 2 of my other kids have had a cold and cough for over a week, so I kept blaming it on this. He ran a low grade fever Monday
and Tuesday (101ºF). He does perk up for short periods of time, but he
is mostly sleeping or laying down to play. You can tell he does not
feel well. His coping skills are waning too—he's a grump.
I
took the three sick kids to the pediatrician today and they all left
with antibiotic. Nurse Practitioner thought Owen had some sinus stuff
going on. Didn't like his cough. His ears looked fine.
This is not like him... Well, it IS an awful lot like Owen when he's having a shunt malfunction, hence the email!
Am I being paranoid? Could something have happened to his shunt from getting hit like that? Could it have reset? He
has the programmable (Strata?). The incident was 4 days prior to me
noticing these symptoms. I am comfortable waiting to see if the
antibiotic has any affect as long as he doesn't get worse. If he does, I
will call.
We
are coming to Riley on Monday (4/2) for Craniofacial Clinic. If he is
still having these issues could we squeeze in a head CT? or at least
check the shunt setting?
I
almost called the resident on call tonight, but thought I'll wait and
see how Owen is doing tomorrow. He had one dose of antibiotic tonight
before bed.
I'll try to call the office tomorrow.
Thanks, Gloria,
____
This
was not the way I wanted to tell you we had a Craniofacial Clinic
appointment Monday, but that's how it worked out. It might end up being
a blessing in disguise if we can get testing the same day.
____
Also, thank you for praying for our friends the Holts! Toby
has had a REALLY rough week and a half. Makes my SMP pale in
comparison. They have been heavy on my heart all week. The Lord has
provided much grace to my friend Carrie and their family. It has been
really rough. But praise the Lord, Toby is making progress... slowly
but surely! I'm hoping they can go home soon. Thanks again for
praying!
By Joy Shipley — Mar 28, 2012 9:37pm
ReplyDeleteWe are experiencing a bit of SMP here, too. It's so frustrating! Hope you Owen isn't having a malfunction but keeping you in my prayers.
By Carol Shank — Mar 28, 2012 10:00pm
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear Owen is having some strange happenings days after his head was hit. I shall be in prayer it is the sinus thing and the pain and throwing up will stop and he will perk up. May you be able to rest in peace tonight and may Owen improve so in morning things look better. So great you have a NP to communicate with... that is what Gloria is isn't it? A praying friend.
Carol
By Marne Dekkers — Mar 29, 2012 1:00am
ReplyDeleteOh no! Praying for wisdom, guidance and for these symptoms to resolve without surgery!
By Julie Adams — Mar 29, 2012 8:25am
ReplyDeleteNooooooo! We will be praying that his headaches go away and he feels better without the need for a trip to Riley. And for the record, I'd be having SMP too! Hang in there!
By Verona Winkler — Mar 29, 2012 8:59am
ReplyDeleteUh oh...I'm with you, this doesn't sound good at all. If you don't see improvement today, I'm not sure you can wait until Monday for the head CT. Yikes. I feel for you and Owen. Praying for clarity and peace about how to proceed. I hate the game we all play about waiting and wondering and questioning. We are so human!
By Kelly Amstutz — Mar 29, 2012 9:16am
ReplyDeleteDear Jen,
Thanks so much for keeping us updated, as it lets me know specifically how to pray, I will be praying for all of this, asking the Lord for a good report; so thankful He sustains through thick-and-thin.
Warmly,