Swimming didn't go so well this past Saturday. He was in a bad mood.
Swimming tomorrow at Turnstone for the first time. I'm praying he will be cooperative.
____
Therapy continues to be wearing on us all. I go back and forth constantly on whether it is worth it or not.
Speaking of Turnstone...
guess who completely forgot to go to therapy on Friday? Me. This
wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the same therapist who I cancelled
on last Monday b/c Owen was grumpy from hitting his head and the same
one I came 1/2 hour late for the previous week b/c I forgot our time.
She even admitted she was beginning to take it personally since this
never happens on Wednesdays when we see the other therapist. Ooops!
We brought her a peace offering of Little Debbie Nutty Bars. Wrote on
the box, "To Miss Deb, from the Nutty (crossed out Bars) Potters." It
think it worked. :)
____
Last week they did a gait evaluation on Owen where he walked on a sensor mat and they videoed him. It analyzed how he walked. Pretty neat. Here's the video.
Basically
it showed he has a fairly even step pattern but spends more time on his
left leg. He has a good heel-toe pattern, but hyper extends some. He
also puts more weight on the outside of his feet.
So they want
me to get "posts" put on the outside of the bottom of his braces to help
keep his feet more level. Hopefully this will help with a lot of the
problems he's been having. He is still turning his left foot in quite a
bit.
___
It will work out well because we are going to Riley Thursday night. Owen has an all-night sleep study at 10pm.
It was scheduled a long time ago to check for apnea or other problems
related to his huge tonsils. I half expect it to find nothing. I
think his breathing has improved since the decompression. Who knows.
They recommended we keep the apt. for the sleep study anyway. FUn
times.
Also, he will see Dr. Boaz the next morning (Fri). I rescheduled so we could do it the same trip. I'm anxious to see how Boaz thinks Owen is doing. I think he is doing great.
____
Other than that, Owen continues to improve. He
is still quite stiff in his neck. I pulled out two stitches from his
neck that were poking out. His back is looking great. rather red and
blotchy though. so that is weird.
His balance is much improved.
He is getting really good at jumping off the curb and landing it. Even
stepped up one today with minimal assistance.
He actually did something really cool on Saturday! He tried to walk up the stairs by himself!
He has not attempted that maybe for over a year. seriously. It was
cool. Even though he used his right hand on the step ahead of him to
help him balance even with the other holding the banisters, it was great
because he did it himself. Makes me hopeful.
____
Now
if only he and Zaner would get along. They have really been
antagonizing each other lately. At each other's throats sometimes. They
are best buds though. It is fun to watch them together.
I've
really been enjoying the kids lately. Went to the park after school
today and then the grocery before taking a meal to someone from church.
It was a beautiful day.
____
I'll let you know how this week's appointments go! thanks for checking in.
By Tracy Jensen — May 3, 2011 11:25pm
ReplyDeleteWow...it's amazing to hear of all the things Owen is doing....it's great to hear his progress......praying all is well when he goes to clinic....hugs to your amazing boy...and to you! :) <3 ya!
By Carol Shank — May 4, 2011 7:10am
ReplyDeleteJen, you amaze me. That you "forget" so little is a miracle in a busy family like yours. Good news on Owen's progress. I don't post often but Owen and the family are lifted regularly in prayer. May Our Lord continue to give you strength and wisdom as you nurture your family.
Peace,
Carol
By Carrie Holt — May 4, 2011 8:40pm
ReplyDeleteHey There,
Good to read your update; praying for your sleep study, we know how "NOT fun" those are (we have another to be scheduled this summer!). Toby cries so hard when they glue those silly probes onto his head - and I don't care what anyone says, they use rubber cement to do it (at least that's what it smells like to me!).
Hang in there with the therapy - I know it's tough - you can do it...One day at a time.
Love and lots of hugs coming your way.
Carrie