____
He
did GREAT at swimming at Turnstone Wednesday. Even floating with water
wings without help. Kicking and using his arms to move. He is really
getting the hang of it.
Hoping swimming
lessons go well today. We skipped last week because of his back. And I
purposefully didn't even take him in the building so he didn't realize
he was getting out of it. If we had let him sit with us and watch the
other kids one week I can foresee that becoming a problem.
Also,
I don't think I've mentioned an exciting thing about swimming.... He
has been wearing ONLY his swim trunks. No diaper! This is huge.
Since
we started his bowel program he stays very clean. And by cathing him
right before hand, he stays dry too! So that is cool.
____
Then
the big news from today: Owen walked UP the stairs by himself holding
ONLY THE WALL! This has never ever happened. Then later he walked DOWN
the same way!
words fail to express how thrilling that was.
He is getting so strong.
_____
At
PT Friday he walked the treadmill for 15 minutes and backwards for 5.
I tried walking backwards on the treadmill the other day and it is
HARD. And that was only 20 minutes of his hour long session.
Miss
Deb sent us home with a balance thingy (like my technical term). It's a
rubber thing filled with air that you stand on. It works your core and
improves balance. We blow bubbles and he's supposed to stay standing
on it while he pops them. It is hard work for him but I can see how it
will really really help with strength and balance.
_____
The
verdict is still out on the postings we had put on his braces. They
kind of make him worse. still suponating and also walking hitting his
toes first. But we think it's just a matter of strength and getting
used to it. He has been using other muscles and tactics to compensate
and now he has to switch. So Deb says to give it some more time and
we'll see.
____
that's all for now. I need to get him ready for swimming. thanks for checking in.
By Carol Edwards — May 14, 2011 9:47am
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking the time for the updates Jen -- you are amazing. I love hearing about Owen's journey and tremendous progress. God's blessings to you and Eric as you are parenting a beautiful family.
By Carrie Loeffler — May 14, 2011 10:30am
ReplyDeleteGood job on the stairs, Buddy! So glad Deb gave you the "balance thingy" too! I can't wait to see what else is next!
By Kelly Amstutz — May 14, 2011 3:35pm
ReplyDeleteDear Jen,
Rejoicing with you Owen's trek up and down the stairs!!
Love,
Kelly
By Amy Keith — May 14, 2011 11:24pm
ReplyDeleteOwen, you are one tough cookie, you know? And so is your momma. And I love you all bunches and am praying for you. Thanks for teaching us how to be warriors. ;)
By Amy Keith — May 14, 2011 11:26pm
ReplyDelete(Rock on, Julie Adams. Can't add anything to that! ;) )
By Jenna Fowler — May 23, 2011 8:05pm
ReplyDeleteHi Owen!
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. U are a brave courageous, strong and determined fighter. U are a Brave Warrior, Inspirational Hero and a Smilen Champ! That is so awesome you walked up and down the stairs! I bet your mommy and daddy are so proud of you! I may not know you but I know that you are a trooper, and I am so proud of you. I just lost a friend who had spinabiffida and my other friend who has spinabiffada and hydrocphlys just recently had a stroke and is now a quad. U guys are so tough.
I was born with a rare life threatening disease.
www.miraclechamp.webs.com