I am so proud of Owen. He has had a handful of speech therapy sessions now (outpatient). Miss Jan let me start coming back. I think she wanted to make sure I wasn't one of "those" moms who would answer for her child and interrupt.
I am really glad I get to sit in. It helps me sooo much. To know what to work on, what he can do, what he needs to work on, and how to get him to do it. She gives me several specifics each week. While I admit we don't practice as much or as consistently as I would like. Any work is good work.
Anyway, back to why I'm so proud... Owen seems so... so... so 4 years old when he's "working". He does such a good job of listening, copying, following directions. Almost to a fault. He takes everything so literally. It is cute. And he really focuses. It is hard for him. and he can't do a lot of what she asks. but he tries so hard. and has such a great attitude. I love that kid.
___
In other news...
we have an appointment Friday at Riley to see ophthamology. I anticipate the doc recommending surgery to correct his drifting eyes (extropia). She was leaning toward it last time, but wanted to do a recheck to get a better understanding of his degree of drifting. We'll see.
____
I scheduled our yearly Craniofacial Clinic appointment for Feb 26. The cool thing is this is a SATURDAY. Which is great because I don't have to make arrangements for the other kids with school etc. They just opened a Saturday clinic on the north side of Indy to accommodate their growing client base and people in the northern half of the state. cool. Same docs. Same services. I'm pumped.
We will be seeing Plastics, Oral Surgery, have a speech evaluation and see our new ENT.
ENT
Our former ENT at Riley (actually University) moved his practice. I was bummed, but figured I'd rather have those 3 second ear tube checks here in Fort Wayne. Well, I've changed my tune.
Last time we saw ENT we discussed Owen's large tonsils. They are stage 3. BIG. Practically touching. He said he would not want to touch them unless they were obstructing his airway or causing him other problems. Why? because it could affect his closure—the closure of this soft palate. Not cool. That could affect his speech. His nasality. I don't want to mess with that for sure. He seems to have a great closure.
So we were to observe if he snored or had apnea when sleeping (because when asked we didn't know at the time). Well, he does. He sleeps with his head tilted waaaay back so he can breathe freely. Plus he's always making this weird throat clearing noise. I think it's related.
So we'll bring these concerns to the new doc. We decided to get a new ENT at Riley instead of Ft.W. because if this road ends in surgery (or even a sleep study) we'd rather have all that at Riley.
I've mentioned it a thousand times before, but they just deal with kids—kids exactly like Owen—ALL THE TIME. It is very reassuring.
I insisted we SEE the actual ENT doctor and not just a resident. No wasting time. I have been around the block a time or two with the craniofacial people. they are just not as organized as the Myelo clinic.
I digress.
____
All this to say, we have some appointments coming up. Myelo Clinic is March 8 I believe. Excited for that... although I probably should start that bowel program they told me to 5 months ago. Yeah, I'll get right on that.
_____
Preparing for Owen's 4th birthday next week. Jan 26. Wow. 4 years. where did the time go?
Jan 19, 2011 7:03am
ReplyDeleteI can relate so well with this post! Thanks for the reminder that "any work is good work," I've been getting overwhelmed lately at the requests from all of the Levi's therapists. Good stuff, hard to get it all in. We will be praying for you guys and all the upcoming appts.
Shanna Conner
Jan 19, 2011 2:08pm
ReplyDeleteHello :)
Love reading your updates. Sorry about the ENT stuff, please keep us posted and we will be praying.
Loved seeing you guys last Friday - it inspired me to get to decorating our house!
Love and hugs,
Carrie
Carrie Holt
Jan 19, 2011 2:42pm
ReplyDeleteLet me know when you start that bowell program.....maybe it will motivate me to start one with Brendan (we were also told to about 5 or 6 months ago!) I give him 1/2 of a Benefiber tablet daily to help things. But I don't do it at a certain time, just whenever I finally remember or he reminds me! Glad to hear that you are all doing well! Happy almost birthday to Owen. Where has the time gone that our babies have gotten so big???
Steph :)
Stephanie Johnson
sjncj1994@yahoo.com
Jan 20, 2011 7:40am
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Jen, for keeping us updated. Every time I read an update I am reminded that our God is a God of miracles, and Owen is one of His prize miracles! I continue to keep all of you in prayer. Much Love,
Kelly
Kelly Amstutz