Today is Owen's 4th birthday.
It started off good. Owen woke up at 6:00! Normally I would not be sounding so happy about this, but he has slept late every day since last Thursday with headaches.
We gave him his birthday present from the family... little Bob the Builder machines. He was sooooo excited. He (and Zane and Kate) spent the next 2 1/2 hours (yes, that's right, 2 1/2 hours) playing with them in a cookie sheet of rice. Ah, the simple things. A mess was made, but it was great to see him having so much fun.
We switched his Cone Enema time to morning. I realized that evenings around here are less consistent than our mornings. so mornings it is. Plus, that's when he usually...er... goes. ;)
So the kids watched a short Thomas video in the bathroom while I de-riced the kitchen. Thank goodness for a DVD set chock full of 15 minute Thomas episodes. perfect for potty time!
We also have devised a sticker chart much like we used for potty training Liam. To help keep him excited about using the potty. (His attitude is already waning day 4.)
Owen did have a headache around 10 this morning and wanted to lay down. fell asleep ON the train tracks playing with Thomas. Woke him up for lunch and sent him to school.
He did fine yesterday at school. I really kind of think he has some level of headache nearly all the time, but the "episodes" are when it gets really bad. That's why I've gone ahead and sent him to school. Life keeps going. There's not much we can do about the headaches right now. Until it becomes "obvious" what's going on. (I can hope right?)
t's just a different level of "Owen". Like he's only 80% himself most of the time. A little grouchy, playing laying down a lot, but otherwise pretty normal.
Once in a while I think he feels absolutely fine, and you see that 100% sunshiney Owen come through. But when he actually says his head hurts when he's having an episode, it's like he's like at 50% or less of "normal Owen". His coping level goes way way down. He's super grumpy. (I would be too). He can't seem to think straight. He is not himself. He sleeps.
I hate it. absolutely hate it.
How do you deal with that? Do you make him do stuff like go to school and church and the grocery store if he's miserable—even just a little bit miserable? Should he get punished for loosing his cool when he brother bumps him with a train? How much should I let slide because he doesn't feel good? Do I hold him and cuddle him (what I want to do) when he gets upset after getting in trouble or a tussle with his brother? or is that rewarding naughty behavior?
Life has to keep going. it is a tricky road to hoe, that's for sure. I'm not sure I get it right most of the time. But we're trying our best over here.
_____
Well, this post was supposed to be about Owen's birthday. And while today is shaping up to be a good day (save my whining above), I have been thinking a lot today about his Birth Day.
January 26, 2007.
wow, what a day that was. I'm crying just picturing the moment I met my little boy. He was delivered by C-section at University Hospital in Indianapolis. It was so surreal. I remember he let out a big cry right away. Music to my ears.
The words of his diagnosing doctor 3 months prior were shattered that day. "...He has multiple birth defects. Probably a chromosomal abnormality. He may not survive outside the womb. If he does he could be a vegetable. He will never walk. He will never be normal. He may be mentally retarded. We're not talking any kind of quality of life here."
Those morbid predictions of a mere man November 1, 2006 (yes. I remember that day very clearly) have been blown out of the water by our God.
4 years later a bright, cheerful, healthy, sweet and adorable little boy walked out my front door and got on a school bus.
Redefining Spina Bifida. I think so.
Helping to define HOPE in this world. I know so.
For four years now I've told Owen's story on this site. But really it is God's story. Because of how God made Owen 3 other babies with Spina Bifida are alive today—not aborted as their doctors suggested—because GOD chose to use Owen for HIS glory.
In John 9 Jesus disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" Jesus replied, "Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."
I love that verse.
What man tends to see as a defect, a hopeless situation—God intended for good.
I am proud to be Owen's mom for many reasons, but when I look back over the last 4 years I am overwhelmed by the opportunities God has lain before us. We are blessed.
Does that mean I am glad he has spina bifida? NO. There are many times I absolutely hate it. It is really tough some times. Really really tough. But I would not trade Owen for the world.
Happy Birthday, baby.
By Shirley Glover — Jan 26, 2011 3:42pm
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY OWEN!
I remember when your journey began. Your family has been an inspiration to me! I love watching God work through you, even though I know it has not been an easy one! I rejoice in what Owen has accomplished and continue to pray through his struggles. Thank you so much for taking the time to share on this site...Thank you for allowing God to use you and your family to reach many families with HIS love!
By Rachel Lawlor — Jan 26, 2011 3:48pm
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday Owen!
By Tracy Jensen — Jan 26, 2011 3:58pm
ReplyDeletehappy happy birthday sweet owen....we hope ypu have a fabulous day....and you feel better real soon....jen....thank you for sharing your insights and your story...you are amazing
heart
By Carrie Holt — Jan 26, 2011 4:01pm
ReplyDeleteOkay, so I've been crying all day (you know why!) and of course reading your words made me tear up again. (Thank you for your comment on the blog, by the way). I had no idea your doctor said that - Wow and double wow!
I love those verses too. In reality, it's not about us or even our kids, but that God's glory can be revealed in them, and He has - He HAS!!! Amazing - I am sorry that Owen had a rough day, and that he's having all these symptoms - it's so tough..knowing when to push, when not to, when to make them do normal things. It's tough! We pray for wisdom and lots of it!!
Happy 4th Birthday - sweet Owen. We are so blessed to know you, and Jen to have you walking side by side with me in this journey is a blessing beyond compare. I praise God for our friendship - for HIS amazing blessings, how even Spina Bifida brought us together (well God did), but the bonds can't be broken. We are truly NOT ALONE!
Love,
Carrie
By Tiffany Carter — Jan 26, 2011 4:42pm
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Owen!!!!
You are the CUTEST!!! Hope you have an awesome day!!
Tiffany and Ethan
By Kelly Amstutz — Jan 26, 2011 5:09pm
ReplyDeletePraise God from whom ALL BLESSINGS flow;
Praise Him all creatures here below;
Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts;
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
Praising Him for how He is using YOU!
Love,
Kelly
By Amy Minard — Jan 26, 2011 5:31pm
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Owen!!
Jen, your post brought tears to my eyes. We are all blessed by your testimony and by how God has already used Owen in these 4 years.
Love,
Amy
By Max Haines — Jan 26, 2011 6:09pm
ReplyDeleteOwen is a wonder and a miracle. Happy Birthday to him. Thanks for sharing. Max Haines
By Carmel Krynock — Jan 26, 2011 6:40pm
ReplyDeleteGod not only brought a special boy into the world, but gave him to special people to raise him. You and Eric are very special, my heart rejoices for Owen and the parents he was given to. Love and prayers to your family.
By Beth Rohrer — Jan 26, 2011 7:32pm
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday Owen! You're really getting big. Thanks for keeping us up to date, Jen. You and Eric made it through another year being wonderful parents. I love reading about your adventures and your walk with God. Aunt Beth
By mindy conrad — Jan 26, 2011 7:37pm
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! I love you so so so much!
By Kristin Koning — Jan 26, 2011 8:10pm
ReplyDeleteWow, 4!! Happy Birthday Owen!! Jen, I'm thinking back to the night before Owen arrived...driving down to Indy late in the evening. So much anticipation, adrenaline, and unknowns. So thankful for your faithful testimony amidst the tears and the triumphs.
Hugs to the little Man!!
By Stephanie Burnett — Jan 26, 2011 10:02pm
ReplyDeleteOh Jen, your words are so beautiful. And so is Owen! So sorry to hear how frustrated you are with how he's been feeling. I know that can't be easy. I keep hearing of different things going on with our kids, and in the back of my mind I keep thinking, "okay it's going to be our turn soon". Isn't that sad? Trying to focus on the positive. Glad to hear Owen loved his new toys-I know you were really excited to give them to him. Tell him his buddy Nate says Happy Birthday! Praying for you and for clarity. Hugs, friend!
By Marne Dekkers — Jan 26, 2011 11:50pm
ReplyDeleteHappy 4th Birthday Owen!! Wishing you a fun year ahead!
Jen, thanks for sharing your little guy with us. He has a great story to tell! Praying that his headaches and sypmtoms subside. And praying guidance for you as you try to figure it all out.
heart
By steph Renner — Jan 27, 2011 7:19am
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY OWEN!!!
We can't believe how far you've come in the past 4 years. We love reading about all the progress you made...and how much love & joy you bring to your family!
Jen, your faith & love for your family is so inspiring.
May God continue to bless you ALL!!!
Happy B-day from the Renner Fam~
steph, eme, carter, & brian
heart
By Kandi Stutzman — Jan 27, 2011 8:21am
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY OWEN! May you have a wonderful day (without any headaches)! Jen - I too heard those same words spoken to me about Nickolas when I sat in the doctor's office holding him when he was only 2 months old. I remember being devastated not only for me but especially for Nickolas & the kind of life he would live. I do know for a fact that God is the God of miracles as not only did Nick walk at 13 months of age several times to the very doctor that told me he wouldn't walk but today Nick is sitting in a regular classroom with his friends. Does this mean, Nick doesn't have any struggles, most definitely not! Every single day is a constant struggle to do homework and other things. I can relate to the question of how do you deal with the grumpiness... That is a tough thing to decide what do you do & for us it changes depending on what Nick's "outside" distractions are. There's so much more I could talk to you about but this has become too long already! If you do want to talk anytime, feel free to email me! Long story short, I pray Owen has a blessed day and may his Mommy who has taken great care of him, enjoy the day too!