Hi, I have been meaning to update all weekend and just haven't gotten around to it. Did get some new photos up the other day. Have some new videos too, but haven't gotten around to uploading those yet.
Please pray for us tomorrow. Owen has 2 appointments at Riley. One at 10:00am to get his G-tube replaced and one at 3:00pm with the ENT doctor for his post-op. The G-tube thing is going to be fairly painful. They have to stick a rod in the tube to extend it so they can pull it out. The new one we're getting is held in by an inflatable balloon, so it will be a cinch to put in and take out later!
I decided to take the other two kids with us to Indy. I wasn't with them all day today and they were at their grandparents' house all weekend, so even though it will be interesting, I think some mommy time is in order. I just finished loading the car with books they don't normally read and the portable DVD player for on the way home, lots of snacks and juice, and I think we'll be set! I even packed our lunch to save some money. The gasoline prices are about killing us with all these trips to Indy! It was $3.45 the other day!
It still seems weird that Owen is "done" with surgeries for a while now. Pending any shunt issues, he should be in the clear for at least 3 years!
His palate seems to be healing nicely. 2 weeks down, 4 to go. We keep his splints on ALL the time now. At first I was able to let him play for short periods without them, but not anymore! I think before his mouth hurt so much he didn't even want to touch it. But now I think it hurts less and itches more. I can barely change his clothes without his fingers going straight in his mouth! So, needless to say, he is getting really good at crawling on all fours in his splints. In fact, he is all over the house like never before. He can go a lot faster this way. The good thing is I am able to trust him a little better for free play. As long as the area is pretty safe and he has his splints on, I can let him play for a few brief minutes without direct supervision. So that is a blessing.
He is eating yogurt and applesauce like a champ now. 2 weeks has gone pretty quickly. I am pleased with his progress and hope the next 4 go just as well. Please pray for the continued safety of his palate—that he won't get anything in there to hurt it in anyway and that it will heal well. Those "trenches" or gaps along the sides of the repair have already closed! Amazing!
We'll let you know how the appointments go tomorrow.
good night.
Mar 18, 2008 3:57am
ReplyDeleteHi Jen,
Wow...his mouth looks amazing! He is an amazing little boy! We will be praying for you today....you are brave for taking everyone! LOL. Big hugs....
Tracy Jensen
Fountain Valley, CA
Mar 18, 2008 7:14am
ReplyDeleteDear Eric and Jen,
We are delighted to hear of ever bit of progress he is making. Bless his heat, he is a "fighter".
We are praying for tomorrow and all that he and you will go through.
Love, Max and Cathy
Max Haines
Mar 18, 2008 9:38am
ReplyDeletePraying for peace and comfort for Owen, and that the trip will be fun for the family and make many happy memories!
R.J. Misty Carly Carter
Fletcher, NC
Mar 18, 2008 10:21am
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear Owen is doing well! I'm praying right now for his appointments. The new pictures are all adorable. One of my favorites is the one where Owen is waiting for the bubbles. :)
-Holly
Holly Jones
Mar 18, 2008 12:53pm
ReplyDeleteDear Jen and Owen,
So glad to hear that great news and loved seeing the new photo. He's such a cutie! :) :) He is looking wonderful. We'll be praying about your appts. tomorrow.
Love, Carrie & Toby Holt
www.caringbridge.org/visit/tobyholt
Carrie Holt
Hilliard, OH
Mar 18, 2008 1:46pm
ReplyDeleteJen, I love the new pictures. I can't believe how he's zooming around with those splints on. That is too funny! We'll pray that everything heals up great. I'm glad no surgery for 3 years. What a change that will be for Owen and your whole family!
Tara
Tara Sprunger