Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Goodbye Arm Splints


Well, I actually had an update all typed up yesterday before we left the hospital, but Owen smacked the keyboard at the last second and it was gone. Ug! So take two...

His check up went well. NO MORE ARM SPLINTS!!!! Owen has been practically giddy yesterday and today. Going from toy to toy or just laying on the floor cooing and playing with his hands. I think he is really happy to be free. He never complained very much about them, but it is sure nice to have my happy boy back 100%. Plus it is so nice to carry around a cuddly baby instead of a scare-crow with a mean right hook. boy am I glad those arm splints are gone!

We also were given the go ahead to advance his diet. Anything up to the texture of french fries. So soft pastas, peas, bananas and the like. He had oatmeal for breakfast this morning and loved it. I hope he welcomes back other foods with as much enthusiasm.

We visited Prof Davis afterwards. He is doing well. improving every day. today is actually his 62nd birthday. Happy Birthday, Prof.

Our buddy Brandon Wilhelm had surgery today on his eyes. He is home already, but his eyes are pretty blood shot, Kim says. No fun. We pray this surgery corrects the cross-eyed problem so he won't need any more.

Owen had physical therapy at church today. we missed our time with Carrie yesterday and the only available time to reschedule was while we'd still be at our Bible study luncheon, so she came to us. How nice is that! Owen did great. Stood for a few brief moments without support. and worked on transitioning between furniture (glider and ottoman. the way they constantly move keeps him working.)

Speaking of PT, boy is Owen just blossoming! I have to pinch myself sometimes. He is up and down and all over the place. pulling up to kneeling at the steps, the couch, toys, shelves, your leg, anything. Even in the middle of the floor by himself! It is just amazing. the tall kneeling is so good for his hips. Since he's had his splints off he has been go go go, busy exploring and chasing the kids. And yes, he's still crawling upright even without the splints, just as we hoped he would. Praise God!

I think the spints helped him OT wise too. They definitely made everything more difficult. He had to focus so much more to grasp things or get his hands to do anything. I think that extra attention has paid off. I have noticed lately he is much more adept at using his hands. he can roll a ball quite well, point, pick up small objects, and operate the toy where you push and slide and turn things to have doors pop open. He opens and closes them over and over.

I just think it is so funny how those darn arm splints were such a blessing in disguise.

Little man just came crawling into my office with a big grin. Now he's complaining that I turned back to the computer. He is getting good at making his desires known with his voice. which is a good thing, but I find it hard to discourage the "demanding" behavior but not the vocalization. tricky with a 14 month old.

So 14 surgeries in 14 months. Owen will be 14 months old tomorrow. People keep asking me when his next surgery will be. It is strange to be able to say "I don't know". I will never be surprised if he has more shunt malfunctions, but I would love it if we were done with those forever. Only God knows and time will tell. Until then I plan on enjoying my "normal" little boy.

Normal not in the way you're probably thinking. our lives are not "normal" by most standards, but it is normal to us now and I like it just fine. I am just happy things have slowed down a bit so we can focus on some other aspects of life with a baby—not just this surgery or that appointment. For example... I keep having to wipe Owen's nose lately. Not an unordinary amount for a kid, but it's unusual for Owen. HIS NOSE RUNS! ISN'T THAT GREAT! He is also testing his limits lately and showing that willful defiance of toddlerhood I know well. What fun. I am looking forward to refocusing, slowing down and enjoying my baby—who's not such a baby anymore I guess.

6 comments:

  1. Mar 25, 2008 8:57pm

    I always love your updates! You are always so positive about everything! I'm so glad things are going well! Take Care!

    Angel Johnson
    Angel Johnson
    johnsonangel@marykay.com
    Lawrence, KS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mar 25, 2008 9:27pm

    No more arm splints! That's great! I bet he is a happy boy. Love the new pictures!

    Tara
    Tara Sprunger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mar 26, 2008 5:55am

    Yeah for no more arm splints!!! And Yeah for being able to eat some food! Such good news. So glad you guys had such a great visit. Sorry we missed you by 1 day again....We will definantly have to get together outside the hospital though, now that it is getting warmer! Cant wait to see Owen show us that crawling!

    Go enjoy that runny nose! :)

    Take care...miss you! (And thanks for the call yesterday!)

    Kim
    Kim Wilhelm
    Elkhart, IN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mar 26, 2008 7:09am

    Praise the Lord! He truly does marvelous things. I am so grateful for all the normal things Owen is now able to do.

    It is no surprise that Oewn's will is coming out. After all, we all come with one and even after we give our lives to the Lord, we have to deal with that.

    I hope you won't have to be going back and forth to Indy so much. You deserve a break today - and in the coming weeks.

    Ps. 145:14-17-19

    "The Lord is righteous in all His ways, And kind in all His deeds. The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth. He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He will also hear their cry and will save them."

    With my prayers, Max
    Max Haines

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mar 26, 2008 9:55am

    Jen,
    You sound so positive in this post. Yippee!! Praise God for "normal". Who cares if your/my normal isn't the same as everyone else. Our normal allows us to celebrate all those little things that often get overlooked by others. Owen and Kenzi have allowed us to truly appreciate ALL that life has to offer.

    I'm so glad that Owen's appointment went well and yeah-hoo for no more arm splints!

    Hugs,
    Brandi :)
    Brandi Wegner
    Ark City, KS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mar 27, 2008 9:52am

    Hi Eric, Jen, Liam, Kate, and Owen,

    Thank you again for your frequent updates and news on Owen and your family. I'm glad he is doing so well. God is so good. Jen and Eric, you 2 do a fabulous job with your kids. I wish all children had parents like you. God bless you. I know He is and will, because over and over in Scripture, I read how God rewards those who obey Him. Certainly, parenting with His love, patience, energy, and vigilance is obediencs. I'm sure there are times you get tired, and would just like to do nothing, but the kids need you for something, and you again lay aside your needs or wants for them. That is so much God's way. Keep up the good work.

    Love to you all,

    Sharon
    sharon cherry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!