Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Surgery Date?


Every time the phone rings I think it's going to be Dr. Boaz's office calling to schedule surgery. I just wish they'd call already so I could plan for the next week. 

The phone just rang and it was Riley calling to pre-register Owen for his "upcoming procedure." I got excited for a moment, but quickly realized no one had told her the gum surgery was canceled. (We had gotten a mysterious call Thursday that I didn't post about. Dr. Havlick's secretary called to tell me she was "very sorry but our gum surgery would have to be postponed because Dr. Havlick would be out of the office the 19th." Wo wo wo... surgery on the 19th?! They called to cancel the surgery before they called to tell me it was scheduled! So yesterday when I called his office to let them know about the shunt surgery, I found out the next time Dr. Havlick and Dr. Heidlemann will be available to operate together is early December anyway. So it looks like that's when Owen's gum repair will take place, which works out well with our 6 week recovery time for the upcoming shunt surgery. I just hope it doesn't delay his palate repair much past a year old. We'll see.

In other news... Our adaptive crawler should be arriving today or tomorrow. We are excited to see it. I'll post pictures.

Also Owen has been doing a great job eating lately. Dare I say, almost as good as a normal baby. He is taking larger amounts, bigger bites, swallowing well, keeping it out of his nose most of the time. We are really happy about that. We switched to giving him his bolus formula feeding (through the tube) while he's eating his solids instead of when he's taking his bottle. Is this what's making the difference? Who knows. But he was beginning to associate eating and a full tummy too much with the tube, which we don't want. Also we keep the tube behind him where he can't see it. I'll have to post a picture of the contraption we rigged up on his chair to make this possible.

Owen continues to be happy as can be. He belly laughs at sneezes. So Liam is constantly pretending to sneeze to make him laugh. Quite the riot.

We'll keep you posted when we get a date for surgery.


1 comment:

  1. Sep 13, 2007 2:00pm

    I can't wait to hear more about the adaptive crawler. Keep us updated on how it works, any improvements you see and if you think it is beneficial. This sounds like something we might be interested in for Brendan. I know that Owen has leg movent (cute pic with him holding his leg up!!!) how does that factor in with the adapter? Brendan also has leg movement and we were told that he will be able to walk, but I know that physically he is behind. I'm curious to hear how this will help.

    www.caringbridge.org/visit/babybrendan
    Stephanie Johnson
    sjncj1994@yahoo.com
    Roseburg, OR

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!