Well, the Adaptive Crawler arrived today! It is a pretty neat contraption. It's made out of clear acrylic and foam. I took it apart to move the wheels. I should have taken some pictures of it then. Anyway. Owen tried it out twice today. Didn't mind it a bit. Actually seemed to enjoy being "up higher". He liked it when we moved him around on it. I "showed" him that he could put his hands on the floor, but he was only interested in pushing up from the crawler. I am sure it will take some time before he is able to make it move, but I can see him enjoying it a lot when he does.
Surgery is at 7:30am tomorrow. I actually think I may wait and just leave early in the morning. The traffic will be great and I just don't feel like driving at night.
I posted some new photos from the weekend and a diagram that shows what a VP shunt is. I guess I have been a little more nervous about this surgery than the others, which probably sounds weird. But it's not a "no-sweat" surgery. they are opening his scalp, pulling the catheter out of his brain and sticking a new one back in. I guess the difference is this time he doesn't SEEM to need it done. It was so obvious that he really needed surgery before. He is just so happy and acts so normal. And of course this morning his head felt great. (It was bulging again by afternoon.) You'd think since this is his 8th surgery it would get easier for me. But I think this surgery has also been a reminder for me that "this is his life." There will always be something. There will always be another surgery.
I was telling a friend the other day that it's like I'm re-accepting Owen's diagnosis in little pieces. I accepted that this was God's will for my life (and for Owen's life and for our family) when we first found out his diagnosis last October. I COMPLETELY accepted it, as strange as that sounds. But it seems as things come up I have to purposefully lay my fears at His feet. Not letting worries build up inside me. When it hits me that he will really have to cath FOREVER, it is a little daunting and sad. But then you have to let it go. And just deal with the day at hand and enjoy it.
I thank God for my joyful little boy.
Please pray for Owen tomorrow morning if you think of it. Dr. Boaz is his neurosurgeon.
Sep 17, 2007 8:19pm
ReplyDeletePotters,
OH how amazing life can tuley be... You as well as well as my sister know the power of prayer and the lord and the great task he has given the both of our families. I am so thankful for evey positive that i can read about. Owen looks so darn cute and i am amazed how fast they can grow. We still continue to prey for you and your family. God bless you for all that you do you are an amazing mom!!! And little Owen keep on growing your an angle in disguise.
Court.
Courtney Walker
Sep 17, 2007 8:52pm
ReplyDeleteWe will be thinking of you guys tomorrow. You are really an inspiration to us with all you guys have been through. Safe travels & successful surgery prayers are being sent your way. :)
Kim Wilhelm
Elkhart, IN
Sep 17, 2007 9:33pm
ReplyDeleteJen,
Our prayers will certainly be with you and your family tomorrow as you embark on this next adventure. I'm continually amazed at the strength of these children. God knew which little warriors to choose. I will pray for Owen's quick recovery, a steady hand for the surgeon but mostly I will pray for you as a mom. Lots of times it's the moms that need the prayers more than the little ones.
I'm anxious to know more about the adaptive crawler. I am going to show pictures of it to Kenzi's therapist tomorrow.
Please keep us updated as to how the surgery goes.
Our Love,
Brandi and Kenzi ♥
Brandi Wegner
bwegner1@cox.net
Ark City, KS
Sep 18, 2007 12:17am
ReplyDeleteWhat a cutie....your new pics are awesome. He is in our prayers.....hope all goes well tomorrow. Thanks for the picture of the shunt...I might borrow it... :)
Tracy Jensen
Chino Hills, CA