Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Update


Thought I'd write a little update on what's up with Owen...

- Overall he's doing great. Weighed 9 lbs 11 oz last week when the Home Health Care Nurse came.

- Recovering from surgery well. We get the stitches out this Friday the 30th at Riley.

- He is eating well. Takes 5 oz. now. Still by NG, but hopefully for only 5 more weeks.

- He has had 2 physical therapy sessions so far. I don't think he's very fond of Carrie, our PT, "messing" with him. She says he's doing great. She says he has great range of motion and was surprised to see how well he holds up his head. I do "exercises with him 2 times a day. She also wants us to work on keeping his legs together. His legs tend to "frog out". If his muscles and ligaments continue to grow that way it could cause him difficulties down the road, possibly necessitating surgery. So we are trying to be diligent about holding him with his legs together and swaddling him for naps, etc.

- Owen had his first speech therapy session yesterday with Julie (the same lady who worked with Liam for a year.) It was nice to see her again. (And yes, she was quite pleased to hear Liam talk and talk and talk.) She says Owen has a good suck and was also pleased with his head control. She will be working with him on stimulating his facial muscles and sucking reflex as well as pre-speech sounds.

- Owen really is a good baby. He is sleeping 7-9 hours each night. (Can't say enough good things about "Baby Wise") He goes down so well too.

- He loves his brother and sister and watching them play. It is amazing how he stops crying when Liam sings the ABC's to him. Kate has started calling him "Owey" So cute.

Anyway, that's what's going on with Owen these days. Thanks so much for caring about our little boy. We can't tell you how much it means every time someone asks how he's doing or sends a note or email. We love the messages in the guestbook. Thanks for the encouragement.

jen & fam

"The brook would lose its song if God removed the rocks."

5 comments:

  1. Mar 27, 2007 12:57pm

    Hi Jen and Eric,

    We enjoy keeping in touch with you through these updates. Glad Owen is doing well! Thanks for the cute pictures too. :)

    Love from Hungary,

    Melinda, Matt, Oliver and Benjamin
    Melinda Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mar 27, 2007 2:51pm

    Hi to you all,

    I am so glad that you are doing so well, and especially that Owen is progressing so well. God is so good. I thank Him for His work in Owen, and I thank Him for holding the rest of the family so well too. You are so right that "the brook would loose it's song if the rocks were removed." We continue to pray for you. Owen is so blessed to be in your family, and I believe you all are blessed, and will continue to be blessed by him.

    I hope you can go outside, and all enjoy the spring day today . Just like the warm sun gives me hope, so your family inspires hope in all of us. God is in control, and we are all seeing that through you, which keeps us trusting Him. What a gift you are to all of us who get your notes here. I trust we can be "hope sustainers" for you.

    I would love to come see you and play with the kids and hold Owen. Hopefully sometime.

    Love to the 5 of you,

    Sharon
    sharon cherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mar 27, 2007 9:20pm

    I go to Church with Mark and Lana and I have enjoyed watching Owens progress the last couple months. He is a real trooper and so are the both of you. I really enjoy the little poems that are slipped into your journaling. May God continue to bless your family.
    Deb Hamack
    Andover, MN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mar 31, 2007 10:17am

    Just checking in on Owen. Isn't GOD amazing!
    Tamera Balsiger
    Berne, IN

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apr 3, 2007 2:00pm

    Hi Jen & Family~

    We check up on Owen quite often & want you to know that we pray for you all. He is just a little miracle! We love to see the pictures & read on his progress. Thanks for taking time to keep everyone informed by posting. Keep your faith strong. Owen is very lucky to have you all as his family!!!

    Stephanie Kill-Renner and Family
    steph Renner

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!