Yesterday threw us some curve balls. It was a very long day, but we survived, and today is looking brighter.
I wanted to share with you some cool ways God has provided just what we need when we need it.
Monday night Eric left for Fort Wayne to figure out our furnace situation. I was alone in our room at the RMH wishing somebody else was there. Just then my sister Mindy called and asked if she could come spend the night since she had to shadow at Riley early Tuesday morning for one of her nursing classes. God knew that was just what I needed. I didn't have to ride the shuttle in the freezing cold the next morning either, since Mindy drove me to the hospital.
I was alone all morning with Owen. I updated the Journal while the nurses tried to put an IV in for his surgery. (Not a pleasant thing for a mother to watch. They actually had like 4 different nurses try. Poor Owen. So many pokes.) When I was finished I thought I might call Eric's uncle Wayne and see if he was coming by that day, since I knew Eric would be on the road and Eric's parents weren't coming until the evening. As I was signing out my use of the library computer--there was Uncle Wayne signing in. Talk about God's perfect timing.
The weather got really bad just as Eric was leaving Fort Wayne. It ended up taking him 5 1/2 hours to get to Indy. (normally a 2 hour drive). I was pretty worried about him, but he made it just in time for Owen's surgery. We were literally rolling Owen down the hall to the O.R. when Eric found us. It was very frustrating for him knowing Owen was going in for surgery and he was stuck on the highway with a dead cell phone. The surgeons actually weren't ready until around 4:00 so Eric was able to be there. :) The Lord kept him safe on the roads. He passed more than a dozen accidents and had a few close calls himself, but he made it safely. Thank goodness for those brand new tires we had to get on Monday. See, God knows.
Owen's VP Shunt Repair surgery went very well. The doctor was pleased. Said there is always a chance that the tube could get clogged. Some people's never get clogged, some only once, some more frequently. We're hoping we're in the only once category.
Neil and Connie (Eric's parents) braved the weather and the roads and still made the trip to see Owen. Took them 4 hours. Grandpa Potter finally got to hold Owen after surgery.
I received training on the apnea/heart monitor and the portable oxygen tank we may be going home with, as well as CPR. I know the "oxygen" may come as a shock. But they are repeating the sleep study today, now that he has his obturator, to see if he is still having as many obstructions of his airway. We want Owen to be safe when he comes home, so if we need oxygen that's what we'll do. We are hoping and praying he won't though. Please pray with us that the sleep study this afternoon shows he is able to maintain an open airway and not lose saturation if he has apnea. Hopefully the obturator (mouth piece) will help him maintain this airway.
Eric and I both learned how to put in and take out the obturator this morning and how to clean and care for it. It just sits in the roof of his mouth. Owen is not so sure about it yet. Doesn't like his pacifier anymore because it feels different in there. He keeps rubbing the obturator with his tongue trying to figure out what is in his mouth.
Owen looks great today after surgery. Yesterday he gave us a bit of a scare. He became rather dehydrated in a very short time, dumping lots of fluids too quickly. His fontanelle was VERY sunken, he was pale and listless. I was holding him at the time and alerted the nurses. Good things - his stats never dropped and he responded to replacement fluids. They still don't really know why he did this and are monitoring him closely now. Maybe it was related to the malfunctioning shunt. Maybe it was something else. We just wait and see.
All the events of yesterday are going to delay our taking Owen home by a few days. We may still be here Monday. We are disappointed and anxious to be home with all our kids. Liam and Kate are doing great though, enjoy looking at Owen pictures and talking to Mom and Dad on the phone.
Thank you for all your prayers.
I apologize for the long update. These journal entries are going to be a great way for us to remember what happend down the road since it is such a blur right now.
Love in Christ,
Jen & Eric
Feb 7, 2007 12:59pm
ReplyDeleteThe Kuhns are still praying for all of you. Can't waite to see all of you back in Fort Wayne. we will continure to pray for Owen, Mom, Dad, and brother and sister. God does work in mysterious ways!
Angie & Jack
Angela Kuhn
angiek@grabillbank.com
Feb 7, 2007 2:37pm
ReplyDeleteI am also in Kristi's Bible study...What a precious child of God Owen is. May you continue to find your strength in God, and may He strengthen you with all wisdom and knowledge through the power of his Holy Spirit.
Love,
Jennie Nagy
Feb 7, 2007 9:05pm
ReplyDeleteHey there,
Sounds like a rough day...we are still praying. We pray God's peace for you and continued health and healing for little Owen. Keep hanging in there!!
Aaron, Jen, and Ella Edwards
Jennifer Edwards
albion, IN
Feb 7, 2007 10:53pm
ReplyDeleteEric&Jen-
We are praying for you. God bless you and your family.
Love, Kraig&Holly Roth
Holly Roth
Feb 8, 2007 8:55am
ReplyDeleteJen and Eric--I love this way of communicating with people about Owen. Thank you! We're praying for you all. Love from
Scott and Peggy Moss
Peggy Moss
Feb 8, 2007 9:37am
ReplyDeleteThanks for keeping us all updated. We rejoice with you in God's blessings and we are praying for your whole family!
Andy and Cathy Baker
Feb 8, 2007 2:17pm
ReplyDeleteThank you for the update. We are praying for you all and hope you get home soon!
God bless,
The Poston Family
Donna Poston
Feb 9, 2007 7:01am
ReplyDeleteHi Jen!
Just wanted you to know we all miss you! Thanks for keeping all of us updated on Owen. We are praying for you and Eric (kids too!). Let us know if there is ANYTHING Tim and I can do for your family.
Love to you all,
Karen
Karen Williams
Feb 9, 2007 1:37pm
ReplyDeleteDear Owen:
I had lunch with your Daddy today and it made me realize how much prayer you really need. He's not that bad once you get to know him. I know you will make the best of it. Of course, many people are counting on your Mommy to be able to sufficiently balance much of his influence.
Just know that my prayers for you have become more frequent and specific because of the time I spent with him. God does work in mysterious ways.
Steve Dusseau
Feb 9, 2007 2:05pm
ReplyDeleteJen-
So glad to hear Owen is ready to go home!! Please know prayers will continue on for you and feel free to call when you need help.
Remember, God doesn't give us what we can handle; God helps us handle what we are given.
God bless your family.
-Nicole
Nicole Cody
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteFeb 9, 2007 2:21pm
ReplyDeleteHey Potter Family,
Wow, how exciting it must be to have the whole bunch all together at the same time. We miss you all. Tomorrow is such a big day and and I can't even imagine all of the emotions that flood in. Enjoy your time together bringing Owen home. Liam and Kate, take good care of Owen. He's very special just like both of you. We hope to see all of you soon.
Love, Trace and Pam
Trace and Pam Bowles
Ft Wayne, IN