So an hour after my last post in which I went on and on about
how great he's doing and how he hasn't had a headache in sooo long....
Owen got a headache.
Found him crying in his bedroom in the
middle of the day, laying on the floor, holding his head. It was
almost time for his medicine (which seems like it might be a pattern) so
I gave it to him and he felt better after a while. Thanks for your
prayers.
____
BUT IN OTHER NEWS....
We pulled the trigger!
Thursday
Owen's PT had a mobility guy come in to talk wheelchairs with us. I
went into it a little nervous. Nervous that this guy too would try to
push us into something we didn't want for his own convenience.
I
had researched like crazy on the internet and asked the advice of lots
of other SB moms who deal with these things day in and day out. I went
into the meeting with a clear favorite.
I was just hoping the
guy would walk through everything with me. I still wasn't sure I
wanted to order from a local company, but was open to it if I was
convinced they would take good care of us. I just have never really had
a bad experience with Riley's brace and wheelchair shop so my default
was to go with them.
Deb had me explain our situation. I told
him how mobile Owen was and that he just needed wheels for long distance
situations where he would fatigue quickly otherwise. I explained our
experience at Riley when they told me "exactly" what I needed because it
folded without going over any other options, as if folding was the
feature to trump all else. I told him it was more important to us that
it be a lightweight chair that Owen could move easily. I told him I
was the kind of mom who wanted to understand what Owen needed and why,
and discuss what chair would best fit his needs no more no less.
I
had not mentioned to Deb or this guy that I was already partial to the
Zippie Zone, but as I finished my schpele he pulled out a brochure for
the Zippe Zone! I think I knew right then I was gonna like this guy.
He went on to explain why he thought this chair would be a good fit for
Owen and spent the next hour walking me through the order form.
End
result... I feel completely confident that we got the right chair for
Owen, although I suppose it is yet to be seen. Deb will write the
letter of need to insurance next week after her vacation. Then we'll
wait for approval (which I hear is the long part) then they'll order,
and 10 days later it should come. couple of months I expect. We're
anxious to get it.
We decided against the light up wheels since
they are an upcharge and I had already added an upcharge for the second
color. I'm an artist, so sue me. hoping they'll cover it, if not, I
think it's still wroth it. kinda silly I know.
So the chair Owen
is getting will look just like the one in the picture—toxic green and
blue—except the wheels will look more like mountain bike tires. And
there will be a foot plate extension because Owen's legs are so short.
We'll have low push handles and a removable stroller bar for parents to
push if needed. Also little side guards to protect his sides from the
wheels. We're also getting the wheels cambered 3ยบ which will make it
easier to roll.
super excited!
_____
Also Owen had
his OT (occupational therapy) eval on Thursday morning. Excited to get
that rolling. Hopefully it will help with feeding issues, texture
issues and strength/fatigue he has with his hands and arms as well as
fine motor skills.
____
Thanks for checking in on Owen!
By Carrie Holt — Jul 16, 2011 8:46am
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about Owen's headache - it always seems like that happens. We just saw NS on Friday and they said no check-ups for a year (hmm..now that he said that we probably will be in next month - j/k - hope that doesn't happen, but always seems to happen that way!)
Loved seeing the chair and so great how God worked that out - He's so good to us, isn't he? Great job on your research..praying for a speedy process in approval and ordering.
Carrie :)
By Stephanie Burnett — Jul 17, 2011 1:27am
ReplyDeleteI loved reading about all the positive things Owen has been doing since his surgery (especially now!). He is so strong. Hoping the headaches become less and less. So excited about the chair! Love the green and blue (I know what you mean about being an artist-it's totally worth it!) Thinking of you guys often. Hugs!