Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

Whew!


Finally a chance to breathe.  it has been a whirlwind since surgery.

They took him back to surgery at 4:45.   

They called me to recovery around 6:30.

He was wide awake.  has quite the antenna!  Wish I had packed the camera cord so I could upload it.  When I get home.

He was kind of upset, but when he saw me he just really let it all out.  I found out later that Dr. Boaz told the nurse at that point to really "milk him up."  so he'd calm down.   She gave him morphine and it calmed him down. We read books "in our head".  

He asked repeatedly for chocolate milk.

With the pressure monitor hooked up I could see his pressures spiking each time he'd cry.  He wants them to stay below 25, preferably 20.  But when he screamed it was well over 50!  wow.  

this monitor is pretty interesting.   So far he mostly stays around 3-8.  But he has also mostly been lying in bed watching Thomas movies so far or sleeping.  When he talks it goes up to 15 or 17.  We'll see what the night holds.  

___

So for the craziness...

Dr. Boaz had Gloria admit us to 9West.  Great!  As you know, we were all moved in... pack n play set up and all.  Then surgery.  And then they tell us that because of the type of monitor Boaz put in Owen has to be in the ICU.

I guess it's kind of a situation where there is an across the board rule that should probably be taken on a case by case basis.

Apparently this type of monitor is most usually used on brain trauma patients (like from a car accident)—so obviously they would need to be in the ICU anyway.

But Owen is not sick.  He just needs monitored for diagnostic purposes.  And they do monitors similar to this on the floor, but not this one.  symmantics.  Our nurse thinks Dr. Boaz was pretty surprised by it.  As is the ICU staff, they just don't know what to do with themselves b/c he's not really "sick".

So, never having been in the ICU before it has been interesting.

A) we have our very own nurse.  Owen is his only patient.

2) they are very very very very very thorough in the ICU.  very.  It's driving me a bit nuts.  like seriously didn't leave our room until 9:30.  Asking me medical history stuff I haven't ever been asked and then random stuff about his eating and sleeping and bowel movements, even mosquito bites. ... yes, he has exactly 5 mosquito bites and it appears he's itched them today.  No, I don't know if he "always" does that.  No, I don't think he needs benadryll for it.  ...x the nurse, the NP, the doc...  Oh. my. word.

and C) this meant Evie could not stay in-room with me.  So we hastily made plans for Kim to drive her to Mindy's for the night.  The nurse found me some pumping supplies.  But as we waited she fell asleep in the pack-n-play.  

Apparently it is okay for her to be with us during the DAY when I'm awake, but if I'm asleep, they don't want to be responsible for her... Obviously I'm responsible for her.  The rule is ridiculous in our case, but I can see why they have it.  there are a lot of idiot people out there who would try to bring toddlers for weeks on end etc.   

So we figured we'd wake her up and then Kim would have to bring her in hopping mad in the morning.  Seemed like a pain after the rough day Evie put up with, especially since I knew she'd be out for the night now until 6am.  So I asked the doctor that came in if there was ANY possible way we could work something out.  he said it was up to the charge nurse, but he'd see what he could do.  Our personal nurse, Wade, was fine with it.  So, long story short, we're keeping her with us until otherwise notified!  So nice.

If it's a rule that we really can't break, then we'll be happy to follow it, but seriously, she's an infant.  it's one night.  come on!   I wouldn't have brought her if I knew you would make me come to ICU and not on 9 where she IS aloud.  

This room is tiny though.  very crowded.  Kim and I have chairs.  Hers lays back—kind of.  I may try to lay with Owen in the bed.  the bathroom isn't even on the floor.  Boy, the Tower is sooooo nice.  sniff sniff.

BUT the staff has been really really super.  if not overly so.  I can't complain.  He's getting amazing care!  Thankful for that.
____

Other than that.... how's Owen?

Well, he has been really funny.  In recover he became obsessed with the thought of drinking chocolate milk.  He hadn't eaten for 24 hours.  

Kept asking the nurse for it.  "where's my chocolate milk?  Can I have it now?  Is that a refrigerator [pointing across the room at a cabinet]?  You can get milk in it.  Are you ready to get me my milk now?"

Right before we headed to the ICU she says to herself, "Am I forgetting anything [papers, stickers, wires unhooked]?"

Owen immediately pipes up..."My milk!"

____

He is feeling pretty good.  When we rolled out of recovery and Kim saw him, he says, "Kimmy,  Dr. Boaz he put a straw on my head. on the top."

in the room, continued to be obsessed with getting that milk.  They'd ask him a question and he would answer then immediately retort "Can I have my chocolate milk now, pwease?"  It was so funny.

He did get his chocolate milk.  and some chicken nuggets.  gross.

____

We let him watch Thomas.  A movie he had never seen.  He was entranced.  Finally made him go to sleep at 9:30.  

Once again he has that silly bed that can't sense such a small boy and just folds him up in a ditch.  ridiculous.  technology gone awry I say.

Hopefully tonight will replicate home fairly well... oh, minus the beeping, the arm splints, the antenna in his head, and the sinking bed, oh and the nurse coming in for assessments all night.   should be no problem.

____

Dr. Boaz spoke to me a while in recovery and said several times he thinks this was definitely the thing to do.  He seems excited to learn the results.  I have to say, I am scared to death of the results.

While I want him to feel better, I'm kind of scared of some of the possibilities.   Eric thinks jumping to expansion seems rather sudden and I agree.  We'll definitely push to explore ALL OTHER POSSIBLE OPTIONS before that decision is made.  We'll see.  This monitor thing should tell us more.

____

We'll see how tomorrow goes.  He's going to be pretty crushed that we don't get to play with Harvey and Molly now in the play room on 9West.  boo.  

He has been pretty good about not touching the "antenna."  The way it sticks out of his head (just above the forehead to the right) he can kind of see the top of it if he looks up.  He'll say, "What's that on my head? Is it a straw?  What did Dr. Boaz put on my head?"

If I make the mistake of saying something like, "That's the straw Dr. Boaz put in your head to check on your shunt."  He is sure to correct me with, "No! It's ON my head!  Not IN it."   (well, actually....)

It looks more invasive and massive than it really is.  Only a teeny tiny wire is actually in his brain, in the ventricles.  When they pull it tomorrow it will be bed side and may or may not need one suture to close.

___

Even though he's had quite the unplanned day, he's doing amazingly well.  He's being cute and funny.  Says please and thank you.  but also being rather bossy.   If the nurse goes to look at his IV under the arm splint, Owen says, "It looks fine."   

 I think the staff is smitten with him.  

I sure am.

7 comments:

  1. By Kim Wilhelm — Jun 10, 2011 10:13pm
    Ive been thinking about you guys all day...Been wanting to call, but I was like...NO...I will catch them at a bad time...Been saying prayers and thinking of you....so glad the straw went in fine! :) Cant wait to see pictures..lol


    Kinda weird...make you go hmmm kind of moments....


    #1) - Brandon asked me yesterday...."Mommy, where Goin?"
    Me - Where are we going?
    B - NO! Where Goin, my friend?
    Me - Owen?
    B - Yeah! Goin! Where is he?


    How is this weird? He hasnt asked about Owen in a really long time. Im beginning to think these 2 swapped inner galactic specs on each other and send out signals when in need....


    Weird moment #2 - I was in my car, and looked at the clock at excatly 4:43 and had an overwhelming sense of feeling of need to call you. But I didnt - I figured Owen was going to go to surgery at 4, and didnt want to bother you in case they came by to talk to you. I had no idea he was just going to go in...Maybe we exchanged inner galactic powers along the way too...hmmm....

    Oh...and I also need to know how you manage to wrap an ace bandage around your childs neck...someone isnt willing...grr....so we are doing the caffeine thing...chocolate milk...Owens beverage of choice...but ours is mixed with Miralax!


    Ok...thats all the blubbering I will do for now. Hoping you get some rest tonight. Thinking of you right now...


    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By R.J. and Misty Carter — Jun 10, 2011 10:24pm
    Love and prayers from NC.


    Curious to know what you find out-trusting God for clear direction!


    www.caringbridge.com/visit/carlycarter

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Carrie Holt — Jun 10, 2011 10:40pm
    Jen,I am pretty sure that I might sign your guestbook more than most, but oh well. I laughed through a lot of your entry - I can just imagine Owen asking for chocolate milk...and about the straw in/on his head! :) He's so funny. I wonder if it's "normal" for CSF pressures to go up when they're upset - Toby's heart rate skyrockets when he's crying...know it's different, but well, you know what I mean.
    Have to tell you that Toby's had a bed like that too and I hate them too - he sinks right in and can't even sit up very well. Last time we were in the hospital, the nurse comes in at one point and tells me that because all 4 bed rails were up Toby was considered "restrained" which means they have to come in and check on him every hour and have all these restrictions, but if we got one of those air-beds, it's not considered restrained; so weird (these hospital rules - and don't even get me started on the ICU rules!!! can totally relate to your description of that - imagine 30 days there!)...Anyway, so to get around having them bug him and to avoid that nasty airbed, we put one of the top rails down near his head since I was there every second anyway, didn't matter, I was watching him.
    Crazy - sometimes I tell ya what.So, glad I checked FB to get your update before I head to bed...glad Evie gets to stay with you; so sorry you have to travel to the bathroom (can you have food? We can't eat in our ICU!).
    Get some rest! Big hugs!Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. By Amanda Etzkorn — Jun 10, 2011 11:13pm
    you are amazing. i just cannot imagine any of this, and you are making it sound so easy.


    we continue to pray for you and your sweet little guy. and family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. By Stephanie Johnson — Jun 10, 2011 11:41pm
    I just love your boy...I'm smitten, too! I love that he's just going with the flow....and wants his milk!! Too funny! Praying that all this testing reveals SOMETHING, and that it will be much less invasive than expansion, yet have significant results. How's that for placing my order... and I'd like fries with that!

    Tell Owen his friend Brendan says hi and feel better soon!



    Love, Steph :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. By Tracy Jensen — Jun 11, 2011 1:42am
    I think I missed something.....you have had quite the day! Your narration always makes me laugh....I'm already tired for you guys.....hugs and prayers and oh yeah...I'm smitten with Owen too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. By Tracy Jensen — Jun 11, 2011 1:43am
    PS Kumaka would TOTALLY be asking for chocolate milk too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!