Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

random update...


Yesterday Owen had physical therapy in the morning with his braces "open" (the top strap undone).  An hour later we took Liam to school.  I usually walk if it's nice.  It's only a few blocks, and it's been super nice here lately. 

well, Owen wanted to walk for some reason, but that takes WAAAY too long so I made him ride in the wagon with Kate and Zane like he usually does.  This was not popular.  I promised he could walk on the way back home AFTER we dropped off Liam on time.  

I thought he'd forget, but NO.  He wanted to jump out as soon as we said goodbye to Liam.  And he didn't want to hold my hand.  "I don- need hep!" 

Can I just tell you, this little stinker walked ALL THE WAY HOME without holding hands, without falling, with his braces open!!!!? (All the while my 4 year old is in the wagon because she is "too tired to walk so far.") 

It was sooo cool.   I know he has done this before with Carrie before, and he's walked with me to the school before too.  He usually wants to hold hands a bit.  But there was just something about how determined he was to do it himself this time. and what a great job he did.  Even with his braces open.  up the sloped sidewalk and driveway. 

I found myself crying at the sight.  He was so happy. 

I'm one proud momma.

just thought I'd share.

9 comments:

  1. Nov 10, 2009 8:52pm

    One happy mommy crying right along with you....that's amazing!!!! LOVE IT....they are so determined and so ALWAYS breaking the odds and what the doctors have told us they would be doing...it's CRAZY in a wonderful way! You are an amazing mommy.....way to go little Owen!!!
    Tracy Jensen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nov 10, 2009 9:26pm

    ...and a proud momma you should be!! That is so awesome, Jen. Love the part about your 4 yr old being too tired to walk, but here comes little Owen, determined to do what he wants... WALK all the way!! Just so great to read about - thanks for sharing! He is awesome! www.caringbridge.org/visit/carterdekkers
    Marne Dekkers
    Sioux Falls, SD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nov 10, 2009 9:44pm

    That is AWESOME! Praise the Lord! Such wonderful news! And such an encouragement to those of us coming up behind you! www.caringbridge.com/visit/carlycarter
    R.J. Misty Carly Carter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nov 11, 2009 6:58am

    Way to go Owen!!! Jen, you have every right to be a very proud mom!! what an amazing accomplishment for all of you.
    Great Job Owen! I love his determination & independent streak too!
    The Renner FAmily~ Steph, Eme, Carter & Brian
    steph Renner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nov 11, 2009 8:26am

    It's that determined spirit that makes our kids stand out from others; not their disability!

    Owen! Good job!!! You are one tough little man!

    Celebrating with you,
    The McDonald's
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/emmamcdonald
    Jennifer McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nov 11, 2009 11:41am

    So happy for Owen - and for his proud Mama!
    Kathy Luersman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nov 11, 2009 8:35pm

    Isn't it awesome how God keeps showing Himself faithful again and again? I'm smiling big right now and celebrating this milestone : ) Much love to all of you!
    Kelly Amstutz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nov 12, 2009 8:45am

    FANTASTIC!!!
    Owen is an inspiration to all of us in so many ways. I love reading about all of his accomplishments...and SUPER attitude.
    What a BLESSING Owen is to SO MANY people.
    Thank you, God!
    becky sorg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nov 12, 2009 5:17pm

    Wow! I finally read it! You are awesome Owen! I feel like it is impossible to plan for your sessions now that you are knocking everything out of the park! I love it!

    Carrie
    Carrie Loeffler

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!