Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

TWO


Happy Birthday, Owen!

I can't believe he's 2! My how time flies. Owen had a great party Sunday night with all his grandparents. His favorite gifts were a toy cell phone and a tricycle. Mommy's excited about the trike too. It has a handle so I can push him when he's learning or gets tuckered out. I hope to have him ride it when we walk Liam to school next year around the corner.

Today Owen had a great workout with Carrie. He worked so hard! he did the best going up the stairs that I've ever seen him do and stood pretty well a few times from the couch cushion (on the floor.) Standing from the bottom step isn't a big enough challenge for him any more so Carrie is pushing him a little harder. I just can't wait for him to get new braces!

Speaking of braces... Carrie and I were talking about the appointment I've been trying in vain to get at the local brace shop. Arrrg! Then she told me it is often even 6-8 weeks after the appointment until you get the braces because they wait around to file with insurance for some reason. My heart sank. That would be like March/April!!! I would like to build a relationship with a someone locally for braces, but maybe that can wait... I want these new braces like yesterday! I totally don't mind going to Indy. I like the guys in the brace shop there. they have a quick turnaround and I needed an excuse to go down anyway so we can re-apply for Children's.

So after therapy today I called down to Riley. Asked to get in as soon as possible and the lady said, "How about today?" We didn't have anything planned but going to the library today, so what the heck! I scrambled to feed the kids lunch and get the Children's paperwork in order. My Aunt Betty happened to stop by and graciously offered to stay with the older two. (They had a ton more fun than if they had spent the afternoon in the van. Thank you, Betty! Turned out to be a lifesaver, as Zane chose to be incredibly fussy! It would have been mayhem.)

We made it in the nick of time. Owie did great getting cast for his braces. We chose red, foam, blue straps and a car and truck accent ribbon. should be cute!

And here's the kicker.... Jerome (my new hero) said he'd "put a rush on them" and we could pick them up Feb 6th! That's like in 10 days! We are going on a "mini family vacation" that weekend—doing the Children's Museum and swimming etc—so we'll be in Indy that day. I can hardly believe we can have them that fast!!! I am beyond excited today. can you tell?

We had just enough time to apply for Children's Special Health Care. The one office stops taking apps at 3:30, but they were nice enough to help us at 4:00! I have a few more items to fax/call in, but that should get the ball rolling.

Then after getting incredibly lost for an hour, we spent some time with my sister Mindy and Tim. Owie got more presents... a matchbox car, video and some more brace-friendly socks!

So it's been a busy day! I felt a little bad taking the kid to Riley ON his birthday, but it was for a happy reason I suppose.

I wanted to reminisce here about the last 2 years, but won't do that just yet. I need to get to bed.

check out the new pics!

10 comments:

  1. Jan 26, 2009 1:38am

    Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Owen! Happy Birthday to YOU! I'm up late with a sick little girl, so I thought I would take this oppertunity to be the lucky one to wish Owen Happy Birthday first! God Bless! Have a wonderful day! www.caringbridge.org/visit/daniellebowman
    Heather Bowman
    Brazil, IN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan 26, 2009 2:04pm

    Happy 2nd Birthday, Owen!!!

    Love all the new pictures. :) What a beautiful family!
    Joy s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan 26, 2009 5:47pm

    Happy Birthday Owen!

    We've been thinking of you all day. Hope your 2nd birthday is fantaboulous and hope you are blessed in so many ways this year!

    And good job at climbing up on those chairs. Brandon is so proud. Brandon has given me a heart attack or two when he has fallen off the chairs head first. Don't do that to your Mommy Owen! lol

    Love and miss you guys! Cant wait to see you!
    Kim Wilhelm
    Elkhart, IN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan 26, 2009 10:18pm

    Happy Birthday Owen! It has been such a pleasure to follow this site and how far you have come in such a short time. Wishing you the best birthday ever and lots of good days for the year to come! Love the new pics too - such a cutie! www.caringbridge.org/visit/carterdekkers
    Marne Dekkers
    Sioux Falls, SD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan 27, 2009 5:08am

    Jen, you are my new hero! How did you get that all done and post it to caringbridge! I am so excited to see his new AFO's! Try to get some sleep!

    Carrie
    Carrie Loeffler

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan 27, 2009 7:07am

    It sounds like the Lord had the day outlined and ready for you. He truly is Lord of everyday and moment of our lives.

    With love and prayers, Max and Cathy
    Max Haines

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan 27, 2009 8:05am

    happy birthday owen!

    jen...we have loved reading about owen's progress & how far he has come. we think about you all often...we're so happy he's doing so great. the new pics are adorable. and congrats on baby Zane as well. you truly are blessed with 4 great kids!

    blessings,

    stephanie (kill) renner & family
    steph Renner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jan 27, 2009 8:14am

    Happy Birthday Owen,
    Wow what a journey you have been on the 2 short years of your life and it is truly amazing how far God has brought you. Jen I love reading your updates and I can just hear your excitement and love in the words. The amazement you have at Owen standing on a chair and the excitement for the new braces. Your awesome. You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers
    love
    Rhea
    Rhea Yoder

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jan 27, 2009 9:24am

    Happy 2nd Birthday, buddy! Jen, so glad to hear that things were sped up with the braces!!
    Love,
    Carrie
    Carrie Holt
    Hilliard, OH

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feb 3, 2009 3:55pm

    Happy 2nd Birthday, Owen!
    Rachel Lawlor

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!