Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Walking Boy


I know this is like my third post about how awesome Owen is doing walking... but I am just so proud of him and continually amazed by God's graciousness.

So today Owen and Kate had check-ups at the pediatrician. We took the walker—no stroller. Owen walked all the way in from the car. Through the parking lot, into the building, through the lobby, down the long hallway. Went right over to the toys and transferred to the table. When they called our names he walked right back into our room! Seriously, it's like I have 3 walking kids—well, I guess I do! It was really neat. He was so proud of himself. Of course he had to say hi to EVERYONE, but he just followed along, steered himself right where he wanted to go big as can be. He listened to me for the most part, but we'll need to work on following directions.

He didn't like the nurse at all. Completely freaked out. Did mostly okay for the doctor. I am chalking it up to normal 19 mo old doctor fear because there's no way he remembers the last time he was seriously "doctored", not enough to have "white coat syndrome." I hope he is good at clinic in a few weeks. We haven't been there in a long time, but he has always loved everyone there. I can't wait for them to see him walking. They'll be even more excited than the office staff was today.

Owen is tracking along at the bottom of the curve for weight, but is maintaining HIS curve! Which is what I was hoping to hear since we have been off the feeding tube for a month now. (on a side note: Kate finally saw something other than 5% for weight... she's in the 25 percentile now!)

He got one shot, barely cried.

Then walked out to get his sticker, played some more at the tables while we waited for Liam's preschool form, then walked all the way back out to the car.

The other kids are very patient having to walk slowly. It definitely is going to take us longer to get ANYWHERE. But it is so worth it. I was just bursting with joy at the sight of Owen being so independent. It was wonderful.

So I think we'll start taking the walker EVERYWHERE now. Everywhere I would let any other 19 month old walk that is. It will take extra time and mean planning ahead on my part, but woo hoo!

Anyway, just had to share my joy... AGAIN! God be praised!

9 comments:

  1. Aug 26, 2008 1:07pm

    Awesome! :) As for white coat syndrome, I think he probably does have some association with the nurses that sets him off. I am still surprised at how wary Grant is of nurses, even after such a long time with no "painful" visits. He waits, and if they don't do anything particularly unpleasant, then he's his normal friendly self.
    Joy S
    joybelle15@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aug 26, 2008 1:23pm

    Way to go Owen. That is soooo Awsome. God is Good ALL THE TIME, ALL THE TIME God is good. And as they add in Africa. Because that is his Nature and that deserves a High 5. So heres a high 5 to you Owen.
    Rhea Yoder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aug 26, 2008 1:28pm

    Wow, Jen! God is so good!! I am beyond excited for you guys. What a blessing Owen is~it brings tears to my eyes. Much Love, Rach
    Rachel Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aug 26, 2008 9:08pm

    Jen,

    It really is happening for you. You have a baby that was all but written off living what most would call a very "normal" life.

    Praise be to God!

    Barndi♥
    Brandi Wegner
    Ark City, KS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aug 26, 2008 9:44pm

    Wow! SO cool! This is really awesome and what joy your heart must feel! This is a real praise and we rejoice with you! I trust that when we get home in 3 months, he will be RUNNING with his walker!! :)
    Jennifer Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aug 26, 2008 10:22pm

    Way to go Owen! I loved how you put it "who knew he'd do all this"...God did. He makes no mistakes and Owen is proof. It gave me chills as I read your entry. I love how these kids are such an inspiration! Keep up the great work, Owen! www.caringbridge.org/visit/carterdekkers
    Marne Dekkers
    dekkers242@yahoo.com
    Sioux Falls, SD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aug 27, 2008 7:41am

    We rejoice with you on Owen's progress. How wonderful that he is enjoying walking and is getting so much better at it. There is nothing wrong with a walker, I used one everyday.

    May the Lord continue blessing you as a family as you seek His will for your selves.

    Love, Max and Cathy
    Max Haines

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aug 27, 2008 8:58pm

    And what a well deserved 3rd post it is!!! How amazing and wonderful is that, that Owen is doing such an awesome job WALKING! Excellent job little buddy!

    Looking forward to reading more and more about these great tasks!

    Cant wait to see you guys.
    Kim Wilhelm
    Elkhart, IN

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aug 28, 2008 8:56am

    Good Job OWEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to take advice from you, Jen and take that walker everywhere for Addie as well!!!!! I'm so happy for you guys on all the progress that's Mr. Owen has been making!!

    Missy Swenson
    Melissa Swenson
    troymissyswen@yahoo.com
    ZImmerman, MN

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a message! Your words encourage us more than you know!