Wow, thanks for all the encouraging notes in the guestbook. really made my evening. I just grabbed something to eat after getting Owen to sleep, now I thought I'd update you real quick...
It was an aweful drive down here. Rainy and dark. And we were running late. I am all tense from clutching the steering wheel so tightly. I just hate passing semi's in those conditions. You can hardly see.
Anyway, since we were running late I literally dropped the kids off at the door to Mindy and Tim and headed straight for the hospital. We made it on time. But it was cutting it close. If you are more than 15 minutes late to a sleep study they make you reschedule. So whew!
It took an hour to get him all hooked up. You won't believe it when I post the pictures. (I'll try to tomorrow when I get home). He has 11 electrodes on his head. Some by his eyes and on his cheeks and chin. He has 4 on his chest and legs. The pulse ox on his toe and two belts to monitor breathing. He was soooo patient while they hooked all this on him. He only protested when they put the nasal canula and flow monitor on his nose. Then there is all this gause stuff wrapped around his head and chin. You can only see his eyes and mouth, bearly. Plus he has his favorite thing, arm splints, on again so he won't pull anything off. He looks pretty funny. Doesn't look comfortable at all to me.
I held him to calm him down from having his nose messed with, then layed him down and gave him his burp cloth. He sucks on one to go to sleep. Had to hold it there for him since he couldn't use his hands. That frustrated him. But I'd say he fell asleep within 5 minutes with no fuss. I stayed in the room about 5 more to make sure then went to get some food at McDonalds downstairs.
Basically, after the first 45 minutes of getting "hooked up" to all these wires, you begin to wonder "why are we doing this again?" It just is not something fun to put your baby through. Of course none of it hurts him, but still. It makes holding your kid down for a shot seem like no big deal. It's over after 2 seconds. Holding your baby down for an hour is not so fun. Thank goodness this is Owen we're talking about and he was busy flirty most of the time with the tech. We sang songs and did things to distract him from it all. He didn't like me holding his arms to keep him from grabbing the wires. or holding his head still, etc. I hope this is the last sleep study we ever have. I think it gets harder as they get older. When he was an infant, he couldn't do much, now he realizes he's being restrained.
Well, I should probably get some sleep. If he sleeps well, we may be done at 5:00am.
good night.
Nov 12, 2007 9:53pm
ReplyDeleteOh my little Owen I cant believe all that stuff fit on your little body. Sleep well precious little boy. I pray both you and Mom have a good night. Hugs Owen until tomorrow. MJ/Angel_Wings
Mary Tamulevich
marijeighn@gmail.com
Orlando, FL
Nov 13, 2007 3:36am
ReplyDeleteoh, jen, that sounds so difficult, holding owen down for all the hook-ups. you're such a good mom to do it even though it's hard. again, owen's lucky to have you! i hope liam and kate had fun with mindy and that you got some sleep! love to you all.
jaimie schrader
Nov 13, 2007 3:40am
ReplyDeletewow! that posed photo of the three kiddos is SO good! they each look great. liam looks so grown-up, kate looks so sweet, and owen looks so darn happy! what a family.
jaimie schrader
Nov 13, 2007 6:41am
ReplyDeleteDear Jen,
After having to hold him down so much, I hope the sleep study proves to be good. I can't believe how good he is. I'm a LOT older and he acts better than I do.
We will be praying for you in all the activities of today and of driving.
Love and prayers, Max and Cathy
Max Haines